Kris Humphries says he’s ‘not looking to be a part of a tanking situation’ with Celtics

Sep 14, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v New York Knicks Getty Images

Kris Humphries came to the Celtics this summer in the deal that sent Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett to the Nets, which launched Boston’s rebuilding project at the very same time.

It’s never easy to go from a playoff team to an expected lottery team, and Humphries made it clear that he’s going to do what he can to help his team win.

And that means he wants no part of any “tanking situation” that may come up with the Celtics.

From Jared Zwerling of ESPN Boston:

“Last year was a tough situation, up and down. For whatever reason, sometimes things just don’t work out,” Humphries said. “No real fingers to point; I’m just in a different situation now. I’m motivated and I’m looking to make the most out of it. It’s funny, of all the places I would end up, I never thought I would play in Boston, but just from being around those guys, it should be exciting. We’re out to try to prove that we’re a team that can compete every night, and whenever people sort of write you off, it’s a lot of motivation.

“I’m not looking to be a part of a tanking situation. I know that [president of basketball operations] Danny Ainge has said that they’re not looking to tank, and I’m sure Brad Stevens coming in is definitely not looking to do that. So it’s just about competing and bringing it every night. We’re going to have to figure out ways to win and continue to get better, and it starts with camp.”

The whole “tanking” question is one of intent at the organizational level, when a team doesn’t do everything it can to attempt to field a competitive, winning roster. It has virtually nothing to do with players and coaches.

The Philadelphia 76ers are a prime example of this entering next season. They didn’t bother to hire a head coach until long after the draft, and also haven’t bothered to spend the league-mandated minimum amount of salary in assembling the roster — a roster which is woefully inadequate from an overall talent perspective.

What the SIxers have done? That’s tanking. Players and coaches, however, are never involved in playing at half speed or making in-game decisions that would see their teams lose games. In that regard, Humphries has little to worry about in his new situation with the Celtics.

1. thegonz13 - Sep 14, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Funny how this guy got into a “tanking situation” when he married a Kardashian…

2. makeham98 - Sep 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM

That was skanking, not tanking.

3. davemvh - Sep 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM

The Celtics turned the wrong corner this post season.they have gone from a storied franchise to a future train wreck,not too mention all the drama that comes with this clown and his past.

• kjereld615 - Sep 14, 2013 at 3:15 PM

The Celtics have two 2014 first round draft picks, One in 2015, two in 2016, and two in 2018 where one can be swapped and used in 2017. That’s seven first round picks in the next five years. Do explain to me how this is the blueprint for a train wreck, because I fail to see it. I see a rebuilding team with current talents such as Rondo, Avery, and Jeff Green, along with budding talents such as Kelly and Sullinger as well as 7 first round draft picks. Sounds like a blueprint to success to me.

4. mcsuave - Sep 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM

He already tanked when he married a Khardasian.

5. isujames - Sep 14, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Knowing, in your hearts either one of these guys bringing up the Kardashians would jump a bridge if that was the requirement to spend 15 minutes with Kim.

6. thegonz13 - Sep 14, 2013 at 10:09 PM

isujames… no, I would never jump off a bridge for any amount of time with Kim and/or any of her sisters. Humphries tried that and last I checked, things didn’t work out that well…

7. somekat - Sep 15, 2013 at 2:08 AM

C’s are trying to tank, but they aren’t bad enough to compete with Philly for ping pong balls.

8. badintent - Sep 15, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Suns are tanking

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches