Sep 14, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
The Pistons signed Italy’s Luigi “Gigi” Datome to a two-year deal this summer, and his ability to space the floor with his shooting was likely the main reason why.
Datome is 25 years old, but this will be his rookie NBA season. Since the majority of fans in the states have yet to see him play, it’s worth wondering what type of role the 6’7″ wing envisions himself filling in Detroit next season.
How would you describe yourself to people that don’t know you? Would you compare yourself to any current NBA player?
GD: It’s tough to make comparisons because all NBA players are very good players and I’m a rookie, so nobody knows me. I would like to make myself known over there. I’m an athletic player and a shooter, for sure. That’s why they signed me – to open up the court. I’m a player with great passion for the game. I would like be for the Pistons what Shane Battier is for Miami. Not the star, for sure, but a player that’s a shooter and contributes to the team’s good results. Maybe you’re not a star, but you’re helping the team. That’s who I want to be.
Battier, of course, has most recently been a key role player for the Miami Heat during their runs to championships over the past two seasons. He was once known for his above average defense, but that isn’t so much the case anymore. Battier now is simply a high-IQ player who won’t hurt you defensively for stretches, and on the other end, has consistently proven capable of knocking down his open looks from three-point distance once the defense collapses on Miami’s more capable scorers.
Datome will be expected to do more than spot up in the corner and await kick-out passes. But there are certainly worse players to emulate than Battier given his skill set.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61