Sep 14, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
The Pistons signed Italy’s Luigi “Gigi” Datome to a two-year deal this summer, and his ability to space the floor with his shooting was likely the main reason why.
Datome is 25 years old, but this will be his rookie NBA season. Since the majority of fans in the states have yet to see him play, it’s worth wondering what type of role the 6’7″ wing envisions himself filling in Detroit next season.
How would you describe yourself to people that don’t know you? Would you compare yourself to any current NBA player?
GD: It’s tough to make comparisons because all NBA players are very good players and I’m a rookie, so nobody knows me. I would like to make myself known over there. I’m an athletic player and a shooter, for sure. That’s why they signed me – to open up the court. I’m a player with great passion for the game. I would like be for the Pistons what Shane Battier is for Miami. Not the star, for sure, but a player that’s a shooter and contributes to the team’s good results. Maybe you’re not a star, but you’re helping the team. That’s who I want to be.
Battier, of course, has most recently been a key role player for the Miami Heat during their runs to championships over the past two seasons. He was once known for his above average defense, but that isn’t so much the case anymore. Battier now is simply a high-IQ player who won’t hurt you defensively for stretches, and on the other end, has consistently proven capable of knocking down his open looks from three-point distance once the defense collapses on Miami’s more capable scorers.
Datome will be expected to do more than spot up in the corner and await kick-out passes. But there are certainly worse players to emulate than Battier given his skill set.
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 0
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 16
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18