Sep 14, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
How healthy Bogut can remain and how much he impacts the Warriors’ expected playoff run will go a long way in determining whether or not he’s back with the team next season — or even if he makes it to the end of this one.
An expiring contract like Bogut’s — which is on the books for $14 million this year — is a tempting asset for teams out of serious playoff contention that would like to clear salary cap space for the following season to pursue some high-priced free agents. The Warriors will have options before the trade deadline passes, but if Bogut proves productive, it’s likely they’d keep him for the duration.
Whatever transpires with Bogut’s contract, it’s not something he’s focused on. It’s the first time in his career that Bogut will play in a contract year, but he believes the situation will take care of itself.
“I’m a firm believer that’ll take care of itself,” Bogut said, via Marcus Thompson of the Bay Area News Group. “I’m not the type to go into the front office, slam my fist on the table, and say ‘I want this, I want that.’ I respect the organization and what they’re doing, and I believe they respect me and the way I’ve handled the injury. In due course, it’ll take care of itself.
“I’ve never been in a situation where I’ve played in a contract year. After my rookie deal, in my third year I got an extension, so I was never in a contract year. This is the first time I’m going through this, but it’s still basketball to me. I’m going to do what I have in the past — come in early, try to help the younger guys, workout hard … try to win games.”
Bogut’s best season statistically came in 2009-10 while playing for the Milwaukee Bucks. He finished that year with averages of 15.9 points, 10.2 rebounds, and 2.5 blocked shots in 32.3 minutes per game.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 78
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32