Sep 13, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
Sports stars are learning what politicians have started to learn — in today’s media environment your comments are not just heard by the small audience in front of you. Your comments are national, they are everywhere. (Politicians love to tell each audience what they want to hear, but do that today and the inconsistencies in your stances quickly get pointed out. As they should.)
“I really didn’t want to go to Cleveland.”
Remember, Cleveland had the first pick in the draft and nobody knew what they were going to do with it. Oladipo was in the mix, but Cleveland took Anthony Bennett No. 1, so the Magic took Oladipo No. 2.
Oladipo’s comment plays well in that room, but then the official Magic twitter account tweeted (and has since taken down) the comment, and it was out and running on the Web.
Cleveland fans, who have some scars from players that didn’t want to play for them and are a tad sensitive on that matter, fired shots at Oladipo. In response Oladipo tweeted.
Sorry to all the cavs fan if I offended them in anyway making the comment I made I didn't mean it the way you all took it.—
Victor Oladipo (@VicOladipo) September 13, 2013
How exactly did you mean, “I really didn’t want to go to Cleveland?”
I don’t think Oladipo was being malicious here, maybe he was seeing that they had Dion Waiters at the two (and Kyrie Irving at the one) and saw a logjam. Everybody in the draft has preferences. And he told the audience in front of them what they wanted to hear.
The lesson here is simple: All your comments are national. Please act accordingly.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 31
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 14
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 27
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 15
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 23
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20