Sep 13, 2013, 10:43 AM EST
Sports stars are learning what politicians have started to learn — in today’s media environment your comments are not just heard by the small audience in front of you. Your comments are national, they are everywhere. (Politicians love to tell each audience what they want to hear, but do that today and the inconsistencies in your stances quickly get pointed out. As they should.)
“I really didn’t want to go to Cleveland.”
Remember, Cleveland had the first pick in the draft and nobody knew what they were going to do with it. Oladipo was in the mix, but Cleveland took Anthony Bennett No. 1, so the Magic took Oladipo No. 2.
Oladipo’s comment plays well in that room, but then the official Magic twitter account tweeted (and has since taken down) the comment, and it was out and running on the Web.
Cleveland fans, who have some scars from players that didn’t want to play for them and are a tad sensitive on that matter, fired shots at Oladipo. In response Oladipo tweeted.
Sorry to all the cavs fan if I offended them in anyway making the comment I made I didn't mean it the way you all took it.—
Victor Oladipo (@VicOladipo) September 13, 2013
How exactly did you mean, “I really didn’t want to go to Cleveland?”
I don’t think Oladipo was being malicious here, maybe he was seeing that they had Dion Waiters at the two (and Kyrie Irving at the one) and saw a logjam. Everybody in the draft has preferences. And he told the audience in front of them what they wanted to hear.
The lesson here is simple: All your comments are national. Please act accordingly.
- Thursday night NBA grades: Any more questions for LaMarcus Aldridge? Didn’t think so. 0
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 9
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 20
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 35
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)