Sep 13, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
Sports stars are learning what politicians have started to learn — in today’s media environment your comments are not just heard by the small audience in front of you. Your comments are national, they are everywhere. (Politicians love to tell each audience what they want to hear, but do that today and the inconsistencies in your stances quickly get pointed out. As they should.)
“I really didn’t want to go to Cleveland.”
Remember, Cleveland had the first pick in the draft and nobody knew what they were going to do with it. Oladipo was in the mix, but Cleveland took Anthony Bennett No. 1, so the Magic took Oladipo No. 2.
Oladipo’s comment plays well in that room, but then the official Magic twitter account tweeted (and has since taken down) the comment, and it was out and running on the Web.
Cleveland fans, who have some scars from players that didn’t want to play for them and are a tad sensitive on that matter, fired shots at Oladipo. In response Oladipo tweeted.
How exactly did you mean, “I really didn’t want to go to Cleveland?”
I don’t think Oladipo was being malicious here, maybe he was seeing that they had Dion Waiters at the two (and Kyrie Irving at the one) and saw a logjam. Everybody in the draft has preferences. And he told the audience in front of them what they wanted to hear.
The lesson here is simple: All your comments are national. Please act accordingly.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18