Sep 13, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
Sports stars are learning what politicians have started to learn — in today’s media environment your comments are not just heard by the small audience in front of you. Your comments are national, they are everywhere. (Politicians love to tell each audience what they want to hear, but do that today and the inconsistencies in your stances quickly get pointed out. As they should.)
“I really didn’t want to go to Cleveland.”
Remember, Cleveland had the first pick in the draft and nobody knew what they were going to do with it. Oladipo was in the mix, but Cleveland took Anthony Bennett No. 1, so the Magic took Oladipo No. 2.
Oladipo’s comment plays well in that room, but then the official Magic twitter account tweeted (and has since taken down) the comment, and it was out and running on the Web.
Cleveland fans, who have some scars from players that didn’t want to play for them and are a tad sensitive on that matter, fired shots at Oladipo. In response Oladipo tweeted.
How exactly did you mean, “I really didn’t want to go to Cleveland?”
I don’t think Oladipo was being malicious here, maybe he was seeing that they had Dion Waiters at the two (and Kyrie Irving at the one) and saw a logjam. Everybody in the draft has preferences. And he told the audience in front of them what they wanted to hear.
The lesson here is simple: All your comments are national. Please act accordingly.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 27
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18