Sep 13, 2013, 8:43 AM EDT
At Summer League, the Orlando Magic decided to play just drafted Victor Oladipo at the point in what was seen then as an experiment — could the rookie really play the position?
The answer seemed to be no. Or at best, he has a lot of work to do before you put him there.
But the Magic are going to put him there.
Positional versatility is part of the future of the league — teams are moving away from saying “this guy is a two guard” to just putting a player in a spot to do what he does well. How do you define Kevin Durant’s position simply? Dirk Nowitzki? If your point guard can post his opponent up, put Chris Paul on the block. Put players in a position to succeed.
But after watching him at Summer League, we’ll have to see if being the point is something Oladipo can do well. Maybe it’s a role he can grow into, but there’s some work to do.
Nonetheless, Oladipo remains a preseason favorite in the Rookie of the Year race — he is a talented player who is going to get a lot of minutes and have the ball in his hands. That’s a good recipe for a rookie — and it’s a good recipe for growth.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 0
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43