Sep 13, 2013, 12:14 PM EDT
Like basketball junkies everywhere, Flip Saunders has been streaming games from EuroBasket. But the ultimate decision maker with the Timberwolves is doing it with something specific in mind — to see how Ricky Rubio is doing.
Rubio is averaging 10 points a game and is attacking, shooting 48.9 percent and dishing out 3.7 assists per game (he’s averaging just under 22 minutes a game). He’s also getting some steals.
“What I like about him is, his game continues to get better and better right now in the heat of the tournament,” Saunders said.
Saunders is heading to California to check in with forward Derrick Williams, whom he wants to lose some weight. Williams finished last season at 260 pounds.
We’re going to assume Saunders made the comment about Rubio’s improvement before his 2-of-7, three assist and three turnover performance as Spain floundered against Greece Thursday.
What’s really good to see is Rubio playing without hesitation, something we started to see at the end of last season as he recovered from a torn ACL. It took a while for him to trust his knee again and be the same player. He’s there now.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 2
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 3
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 14
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5