Sep 13, 2013, 12:14 PM EST
Like basketball junkies everywhere, Flip Saunders has been streaming games from EuroBasket. But the ultimate decision maker with the Timberwolves is doing it with something specific in mind — to see how Ricky Rubio is doing.
Rubio is averaging 10 points a game and is attacking, shooting 48.9 percent and dishing out 3.7 assists per game (he’s averaging just under 22 minutes a game). He’s also getting some steals.
“What I like about him is, his game continues to get better and better right now in the heat of the tournament,” Saunders said.
Saunders is heading to California to check in with forward Derrick Williams, whom he wants to lose some weight. Williams finished last season at 260 pounds.
We’re going to assume Saunders made the comment about Rubio’s improvement before his 2-of-7, three assist and three turnover performance as Spain floundered against Greece Thursday.
What’s really good to see is Rubio playing without hesitation, something we started to see at the end of last season as he recovered from a torn ACL. It took a while for him to trust his knee again and be the same player. He’s there now.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30