Sep 13, 2013, 12:14 PM EDT
Like basketball junkies everywhere, Flip Saunders has been streaming games from EuroBasket. But the ultimate decision maker with the Timberwolves is doing it with something specific in mind — to see how Ricky Rubio is doing.
Rubio is averaging 10 points a game and is attacking, shooting 48.9 percent and dishing out 3.7 assists per game (he’s averaging just under 22 minutes a game). He’s also getting some steals.
“What I like about him is, his game continues to get better and better right now in the heat of the tournament,” Saunders said.
Saunders is heading to California to check in with forward Derrick Williams, whom he wants to lose some weight. Williams finished last season at 260 pounds.
We’re going to assume Saunders made the comment about Rubio’s improvement before his 2-of-7, three assist and three turnover performance as Spain floundered against Greece Thursday.
What’s really good to see is Rubio playing without hesitation, something we started to see at the end of last season as he recovered from a torn ACL. It took a while for him to trust his knee again and be the same player. He’s there now.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18