Sep 13, 2013, 10:08 PM EST
After Michael Beasley had problems both on and off the court during a tumultuous first year with the Phoenix Suns, the team decided to further its fresh start under a new GM and new head coach by negotiating a buyout of his contract, which made Beasley an unrestricted free agent.
Despite his well-chronicled history of issues, talent conquers all at the professional level, so Beasley didn’t remain on the open market for long. He ended up with maybe the only team willing to take a chance on him at this point — the two-time defending champion Miami Heat.
Beasley played his first two NBA seasons in Miami, so perhaps Pat Riley believes he knows how to reach him. Dwyane Wade was there during Beasley’s first go-around, and posted a photo and message to his Instagram account welcoming Beasley back with open arms.
“Sometimes u need to fall 2 see who will pick up.. Welcome home Beas we got your back… #heatfamily”
“Fall seven times, stand up eight,” anyone?
Beasley will not only need the support and guidance of Wade, LeBron James, and the rest of the veterans on the squad, he’ll need to show them a consistent level of effort, and a willingness to do whatever it takes to fit into what has become a championship culture.
There’s no reason to believe that Beasley will magically straighten himself out and suddenly make basketball his number one priority, because he has yet to show an ability (or even a simple willingness) to do so at any time in his career to this point.
A return to Miami isn’t just Beasley’s best chance at turning his career around; its likely to be his last.
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 7
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 41
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 10
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 8
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 15
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 29
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 7
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 5