Sep 13, 2013, 2:43 PM EST
They have roughly the same build, Griffin is an inch taller and has 15 pounds or so on Humphries, but to the average person they are both just very tall, big men.
They also are both recognizable in popular culture — Griffin for his basketball skills and with that a plethora of endorsement deals, Humphries for his short-lived marriage to Kim Kardashian.
And fans confuse the two all the time. Apparently. Both Humphries (with Boston this season) and Griffin were working out at the Clippers facility this summer and Humphries told Griffin about a woman coming up to him and mistaking him for Griffin. Jared Zwerling tells the story for ESPNBoston.com.
“I came in the gym and I was like, ‘Blake, someone thought I was you,’ ” Humphries told ESPN.com. “And he’s like, ‘Yeah, yeah, the same thing happens to me all the time.’ It’s just funny because sometimes someone will come up to me and be like, ‘Blake, blah blah blah.’ And I’m like, ‘I’m not him.’ And they think I’m being a d— because of it. I feel bad. I’m like, ‘I hope this person doesn’t think it was actually Blake and I’m not trying to talk to him.’ But I don’t think we look alike at all. I mean, we’re about the same size, the same build.”
I don’t get it, they don’t look alike to me, but then again I’m not a casual fan.
Humphries should use this to get a few endorsement deals, however. Who’s going to know?
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 0
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 3
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 3
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 17
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)