Sep 13, 2013, 7:59 AM EST
Pau Gasol is one of the smarter NBA players out there — he has been inside the operating room at a children’s hospital at the invite of doctors, he goes to the opera, and I have had a conversation with him about author José Saramago. This summer he visited Syrian refugees for UNICEF.
He and his brother Marc Gasol also have a charity together, the Gasol Foundation, and this summer the brothers made a bet: Pau and Marc each had a team of children they were trying to get to be active and healthy, it was called The Healthy Competition. The children were given Nike Fuel Bands and the coach whose team burned the most fuel won and the other had to shave his beard. Marc’s team in Memphis just edged out Pau’s L.A. team.
So for the first time since 2004 (when he was with the Grizzlies), Pau had to shave his beard.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire before Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City 0
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 20
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)