Sep 13, 2013, 7:59 AM EDT
Pau Gasol is one of the smarter NBA players out there — he has been inside the operating room at a children’s hospital at the invite of doctors, he goes to the opera, and I have had a conversation with him about author José Saramago. This summer he visited Syrian refugees for UNICEF.
He and his brother Marc Gasol also have a charity together, the Gasol Foundation, and this summer the brothers made a bet: Pau and Marc each had a team of children they were trying to get to be active and healthy, it was called The Healthy Competition. The children were given Nike Fuel Bands and the coach whose team burned the most fuel won and the other had to shave his beard. Marc’s team in Memphis just edged out Pau’s L.A. team.
So for the first time since 2004 (when he was with the Grizzlies), Pau had to shave his beard.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30