Look for a lot more JaVale McGee in Denver this season

Sep 12, 2013, 11:14 AM EST

JaVale McGee AP

JaVale McGee is a smart guy.

He also just does some stupid things on the basketball court. Ones that Shaq mocked on Inside the NBA, decisions big and small that had former coach George Karl limiting his minutes.

All that could change this season. Part of Karl’s surprise exit from Denver was a disagreement about who should play how much — the Nuggets management wanted more minutes for their young stars like McGee.

Now with Brian Shaw at the helm, expect a lot more McGee in Denver — and McGee himself is pretty pumped about that, he told Jeff Caplan of NBA.com in a rare interview where McGee is really open about himself.

“I’m definitely getting that feeling from the coaches that I’m going to be more of an impact and getting more minutes,” said McGee, who enters his sixth NBA season and second full season in Denver after 3 ½ oddball years with Washington. “It’s really up to the coach as to how he wants to use me. It’s up to me to work and everything, and I’m going to do that. So if I work hard and I come prepared and in shape for training camp, there’s nothing that can stop me but the coach….

“I definitely have post moves. I have a mid-range shot that I really never got to use my whole career in the NBA,” McGee said. “Coach Karl didn’t want his ‘bigs’ shootings at all. [Defenses are] probably going to leave me open for the mid-range, so I definitely got to take that shot.”

The other thing McGee does well is run the court as a big man and finish in transition. Shaw has promised to keep up the tempo in Denver (and with their personnel he should). McGee is the most athletic big in the game today, it’s just a question of how he uses it.

As for what you, or Shaquille O’Neal, or Charles Barkley think about McGee, he doesn’t really care. He is having fun on social media, he’s trying to be positive, and he is comfortable with who he is and doesn’t really care what you think.

“People around the NBA really think that I’m dumb or stupid,” McGee said. “But people that know me know that I’m actually very intelligent. It doesn’t affect me at all.”

He’s going to get the minutes, the chance to change that perception this season. We’ll see what he does with it.

Latest Posts
  1. Serge Ibaka blocks Carlos Boozer at the rim, does Mutombo finger wag (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

Serge Ibaka, Carlos Boozer AP

As the Thunder ended up winning by one, 104-103, this block ended up being very important.

2. Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 2:07 AM EST

Damian Lillard AP

Lillard needs to get mentioned with the game’s top point guards.

3. Former No. 2 overall pick Darko Milicic loses first kickboxing fight (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 12:02 AM EST

Former NBA player now trying to make his way as a fighter.

4. Danny Ainge says uncertainty about Celtics’ ability to re-sign Rajon Rondo prompted trade to Dallas

Dec 19, 2014, 10:50 PM EST

Danny Ainge AP

There are a whole host of reasons Rondo was traded; this is just the most convenient for Boston’s brass.

5. Spurs’ Kawhi Leonard has torn ligament in right hand, return unclear

Dec 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EST

Kawhi Leonard AP

Leonard was the Finals MVP for San Antonio last season.

6. Kevin Durant to sit out vs. Lakers with ankle sprain

Dec 19, 2014, 6:35 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

This is the smart move by the Thunder.

7. Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston

Dec 19, 2014, 5:59 PM EST

Orlando Magic v Boston Celtics, Game 6 Getty Images

It’s kind of moot now, but it’s not a surprise.

8. Kobe Bryant says he’s not recruiting Kevin Durant to Lakers. Yet?

Dec 19, 2014, 5:15 PM EST

Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant AP

Lakers star: ‘If the opportunity came up, then that’s the time to have that discussion’

9. Raptors unveil new logo, get ribbed by Nets’ official Twitter account about it

Dec 19, 2014, 4:29 PM EST

Nets v Raptors Eastern Conference Quarter Finals Game 7 Getty Images

Black-and-white version of Toronto’s new logo looks similar to Brooklyn’s

10. Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston

Dec 19, 2014, 2:56 PM EST

Minnesota Timberwolves v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

This gives the Rockets a little more depth on the wing with Harden and Ariza.

11. Kevin Durant (ankle injury) game-time decision vs. Lakers

Dec 19, 2014, 2:15 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Thunder star sprained ankle against Warriors

12. Report: Mavericks targeting Jermaine O’Neal to replace Brandan Wright

Dec 19, 2014, 1:04 PM EST

Golden State Warriors v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Sending Wright to the Celtics leaves major hole at backup center

13. Report: Mavericks “confident” they can re-sign Rajon Rondo

Dec 19, 2014, 12:28 PM EST

rondomavs

Mark Cuban is too smart to pull the trigger on this kind of deal unless he has word he can keep his man.

14. Report: Hornets pull Lance Stephenson off trade block

Dec 19, 2014, 11:51 AM EST

Charlotte Hornets v Miami Heat Getty Images

Heat and Nets among teams that showed interest

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches