Sep 12, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT
Rajon Rondo was arguably the best player on the Celtics the past two seasons, but he was not the team leader. Kevin Garnett was, with Paul Pierce (and a couple seasons back Ray Allen) in that mix as well.
Now, Rondo has been thrust into the roll of unquestioned leader of a young, rebuilding Boston team.
Garnett said that should be no problem, he showed Rondo how to do lead. Which is more than just teaching him how to scowl — it’s to lead by example. And scowl. Garnett explained it to Masslive.com (via Eye on Basketball) when asked what the most important thing he showed Rondo was:
“About leadership. I feel like one of the things I always tried to stress to him is, when you’re a leader, you lead by example. It’s not a lot about what you say, it’s a lot about what you do.”
On whether Rondo can push the new Celtics back to the top:
“Absolutely. I’m sure he’s going to push them to make the team better, and (president of basketball operations Danny Ainge) is going to do just that. The franchise has always been used to winning. They have a new coach and new system up there, so I’m thinking that’s going to be a plus. I wish them all the best, man. I have no ill will towards anything in Boston.”
In the past Rondo hasn’t really hasn’t been a leader by example: He was suspended a game last season for bumping a referee, and another two games following a fight with the Nets; then back in 2012 he was suspended two games for throwing a ball at an official. It’s something he needs to work on, because Boston needs him on the court.
Rondo might be able to lead, but leadership is no substitute for on the court talent, and that’s what Boston is lacking. They have some nice pieces in Rondo and Avery Bradley, but this is a roster being turned over and there’s only so far Rondo can lead them. By example or otherwise.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 10
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 30
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29