Sep 12, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Carmelo Anthony said he doesn’t really want to talk about his potential free agency next summer. I’m sure since he said that the ever so accommodating New York media will not bring it up again. I mean, it’s not like it’s the sword of Damocles hanging over the entire Knicks season or anything. (Read those last couple sentences to yourself again in a more sarcastic voice, just to make sure you got my point.)
Anthony was on Bloomberg Television’s “Market Markers” because… well, I guess he’s got some money to invest laying around. Anyway, the topic of him leaving New York and the Knicks came up and Anthony said this (transcribed by Al Iannazzone of Newsday):
“I’m not going nowhere,” Anthony said…
“That is one of the reasons why I wanted to come here to New York, just so I could take on those pressures and those challenges,” Anthony said. “A lot of people do not like to deal with the pressure. A lot of people do not know how to deal with the challenges they face. To me, it is everyday life.”
Sounds like a guy not looking to move on — which has always been the most likely outcome. Front offices and fans of other teams will dream up scenarios but in the end Anthony is anchored and not likely to bolt.
Sure, Anthony almost certainly will opt out of his current deal, but mostly get the security of a five-year contract (which the Knicks alone can offer five, other teams just four).
However, remembering all the hits to his reputation he took to force his way out of Denver to get to Manhattan, it would be hard to leave. Plus where is he going to go where he can bask in the spotlight and still win — the Lakers will have cap space but that is Kobe’s team. Dallas? That’s Dirk’s team and the lights aren’t quite as bright. We could go on down the list, but you get the idea.
For Anthony (and likely LeBron James also), they will keep their options open because things change, but in the end they are going to click their ruby red slippers together three times, say “there’s no place like home” and re-sign with their current squads.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 37
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18