Sep 12, 2013, 12:44 PM EST
Darius Morris couldn’t crack Mike D’Antoni’s tight rotation last season with the Lakers. He played sparingly until injuries in the playoffs forced D’Antoni’s hand and Morris started Game 3 against the Spurs in the first round. Morris put up 24 points (on just 15 shots) and had six assists, but he got torched at the other end of the floor and was a -28 in the Lakers 31-point blowout loss.
Now Morris is going to get a chance on the other coast — he has reached a deal with the Philadelphia 76ers this season, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, something confirmed by CSNPhilly.com’s John Finger.
This is a two-year deal but neither season is fully guaranteed — the Sixers can cut him loose. However he is expected to make the roster and get a little run, reports Wojnarowski.
We’ll see how much. Just drafted Michael Carter-Williams will be the starting point in Philly, and behind him Tony Wroten (most recently of the Grizzlies) should get minutes. Morris is going to need to work his way into that rotation.
We’ll see if he can, the guy shot 38.8 percent overall last season — he shot 36 percent from three but struggled to finish in the paint and his midrange was shaky. But he’s also just 22 and that could improve with time, effort and a little more opportunity.
He’s going to get that with Brett Brown in Philly, we’ll see what he does with it.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 0
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20