Sep 12, 2013, 12:44 PM EST
Darius Morris couldn’t crack Mike D’Antoni’s tight rotation last season with the Lakers. He played sparingly until injuries in the playoffs forced D’Antoni’s hand and Morris started Game 3 against the Spurs in the first round. Morris put up 24 points (on just 15 shots) and had six assists, but he got torched at the other end of the floor and was a -28 in the Lakers 31-point blowout loss.
Now Morris is going to get a chance on the other coast — he has reached a deal with the Philadelphia 76ers this season, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, something confirmed by CSNPhilly.com’s John Finger.
This is a two-year deal but neither season is fully guaranteed — the Sixers can cut him loose. However he is expected to make the roster and get a little run, reports Wojnarowski.
We’ll see how much. Just drafted Michael Carter-Williams will be the starting point in Philly, and behind him Tony Wroten (most recently of the Grizzlies) should get minutes. Morris is going to need to work his way into that rotation.
We’ll see if he can, the guy shot 38.8 percent overall last season — he shot 36 percent from three but struggled to finish in the paint and his midrange was shaky. But he’s also just 22 and that could improve with time, effort and a little more opportunity.
He’s going to get that with Brett Brown in Philly, we’ll see what he does with it.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (44)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)