Sep 11, 2013, 7:03 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than you love stumbling on a showing of “Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy” on cable….
• As we told you would happen, the Mavericks made it official and signed Fab Melo to a training camp contract. Same with D.J. Kennedy and Richard McConnell. The Mavericks have no open roster spots, so don’t bet on seeing any of them when the season starts, at least with Dallas.
• Speaking of training camp invites, the Pacers have signed Ron Howard and Darnell Jackson in that role.
• Stephen Jackson and Steve Francis got into a fight and had to be separated at a club. Follow this link to the video (I can’t run it, this is wildly NSFW), then skip ahead to the 25:30 mark or so to see all the fun.
• The Lakers made a mistake today, sending out a tweet meant to be a “never forget” 9/11 thought but instead the picture of Kobe Bryant — in the games after terrorist attacks when players wore a special patch on their uniform — came off as about them, not the day or thought. The Lakers pulled it and owned up to it.
• Personally, I thought the Suns tweet was worse (the gorilla mascot waving a flag), they wisely pulled theirs as well.
• Who is the best shooter in NBA history from beyond 27 feet? Stephen Curry. Not that he should start taking them.
• The Nuggets’ television broadcaster Chris Marlowe (who has a gold medal as an Olympic volleyball player, by the way) says JaVale McGee could play 35 minutes a night this season. One way or another, that will be good for all of us.
• Kevin Durant in Paris.
• Finally, this Guinness wheelchair basketball ad is just brilliant.
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 3
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 12
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 19
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 52
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 4
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 17
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5