Sep 11, 2013, 11:18 AM EDT
At this point, there is little doubt Rick Adelman is coming back to coach the Minnesota Timberwolves this year. But if situations like the one with Derrick Rose last year teach us anything it is this: If you don’t answer the question people will keep asking it.
Adelman missed a chunk of games last season to be with his ailing wife, and the word after the season was his return this season would be based upon her health. While the buzz is he is expected to return, there has been nothing from him directly.
Wolves coach Rick Adelman has been meeting with his staff in Portland this week, and talked by telephone with president of basketball operations Flip Saunders for an hour Monday night.
“He’s excited about everything we’re doing right now,” Saunders said. “I’m very confident that Rick is going to be back.”
I hope he is. First and foremost because that means his wife is doing better and that’s what really matters.
Second, I want him back for the selfish reason that he’s one of the best coaches in the game and I want to see what he can do with this Timberwolves roster when it’s healthy. Last season was a perfect storm of injuries around Minnesota — Kevin Love’s hand and Ricky Rubio’s knees being the big ones — but this season they are due for some good karma.
I think Minnesota is a playoff team in the West this season if they can keep their key guys on the court, and it looks like Adelman will be at the helm for it.
- Three coaches who could replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 0
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 5
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 61
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42