Sep 11, 2013, 11:18 AM EST
At this point, there is little doubt Rick Adelman is coming back to coach the Minnesota Timberwolves this year. But if situations like the one with Derrick Rose last year teach us anything it is this: If you don’t answer the question people will keep asking it.
Adelman missed a chunk of games last season to be with his ailing wife, and the word after the season was his return this season would be based upon her health. While the buzz is he is expected to return, there has been nothing from him directly.
Wolves coach Rick Adelman has been meeting with his staff in Portland this week, and talked by telephone with president of basketball operations Flip Saunders for an hour Monday night.
“He’s excited about everything we’re doing right now,” Saunders said. “I’m very confident that Rick is going to be back.”
I hope he is. First and foremost because that means his wife is doing better and that’s what really matters.
Second, I want him back for the selfish reason that he’s one of the best coaches in the game and I want to see what he can do with this Timberwolves roster when it’s healthy. Last season was a perfect storm of injuries around Minnesota — Kevin Love’s hand and Ricky Rubio’s knees being the big ones — but this season they are due for some good karma.
I think Minnesota is a playoff team in the West this season if they can keep their key guys on the court, and it looks like Adelman will be at the helm for it.
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 0
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 9
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)