Kobe still saying he’s not sure if he will be ready for opener

Sep 11, 2013, 2:01 PM EST

Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

That Kobe Bryant is recovering as fast as he is from an Achilles injury that could have been career ending says everything you need to know about his drive, his care of his body and his work ethic.

All of that may not have him back opening night.

Kobe did a Nike-fueled world tour selling shoes and everywhere he went he gets asked about his return — and he continues to not give a firm timeline. The latest quote comes to us via Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News.

‘I don’t know [whether] that means I’ll start the season – I hope so,” Bryant said in a recent interview to Time Out Dubai to promote his upcoming there later this month to host a basketball clinic.

“I’m feeling pretty good,’” Bryant said, ‘stronger than I was. I’m ahead of [my recovery] schedule.”

Lakers fans should expect Kobe back at some early point in the season, but they need to understand he’s not going to be quite the same player. He’ll still be good, but not exactly the same. Over the past few years Kobe’s game had shifted from using his explosiveness to using his basketball IQ and footwork to get the shots he wanted where he wanted. He generally did it — he could get to the elbow and rise up and knock down the jumper.

That footwork and IQ aren’t going anywhere, but he will not get there quite as quickly and not have quite the same lift on the jumper. And in the NBA the margins for error are pretty small.

The bigger issue will be defense, where Kobe already gambled more than he should and now will not be able to recover as well. Combine that with the losses of Dwight Howard and Metta World Peace and the question will be can the Lakers defend well enough to get into the playoffs.

For the Lakers to make the playoffs they are going to need Kobe back early, and for him to be fully Kobe, able to run and play in the Mike D’Antoni system. We’ll see if he can do it.

1. asimonetti88 - Sep 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Take your time, get healthy. It sounds like you will be back for more than just this year, so we need you to be fully healthy instead of hobbling around the next few years. We aren’t really going very far this season anyway.

2. mogogo1 - Sep 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Rushing back from an injury to start an NBA season is just about the stupidest thing anybody could ever do. There are plenty of games and being as healthy as possible at the end of the season is what really matters.

3. ocgunslinger - Sep 11, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Kobe knows his body as well as any professional athlete. He will do the right thing no question.

4. tomasekradek - Sep 11, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I’m sure. He will. It’s Kobe who’re we talkin’ about

5. donth8thehorns - Sep 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Stick a fork n him! He is done! One of the greatest ever, but, it’s time to retire! He is handcuffing the franchise now. I understand the want and desire to be in the spotligh, but , it’s time to hand over the torch! He can always sell shoes in Tokyo or laces in Pakistan

6. onlyavoice - Sep 11, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I Expect Kobe To Retire By The End Of The Season.

7. illiyas - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:54 AM

kobe is crap.

8. ProBasketballPundit - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I’ve been talking crap about Kobe for ten years now… but I was damn disappointed when he got hurt last season. I was looking forward to the Spurs sweeping KOBE & the Lakers so it wasn’t as sweet. Seriously though, Kobe is a legendary competitor and he makes the game better. I hope he comes back healthy so everybody can keep trying to take him down.

9. bucs24 - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Get rid of him no one wants to play with him

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches