Sep 11, 2013, 12:43 PM EDT
Admit it, you watch “Storage Wars,” you know how this works. You get to stand at the door, look at the boxes inside and bid on an abandoned/unpaid storage locker. Then you hope the junk inside isn’t junk and you can cover your nut.
Adrian Petrus did that in Maryland, he bought a unit for $300 and…
It was filled with Dikembe Mutombo memorabilia. Take that Barry Weiss. TMZ has the story.
So you can imagine how pumped he was when he opened the locker and realized the whole thing was packed full of Mutombo items — signed basketballs, shoes, jerseys, trading cards and photos of Dikembe with celebs like Michael Jackson and Nelson Mandela.
Apparently one of Mutombo’s brothers owned the unit and all the memorabilia, but when he had to go back to the Congo after the death of a family member he forgot about the unit, stopped making payments and eventually it went up for auction. (Automatic payments people, you can set these things up at the bank. Just sayin’.)
Petrus tells us .. once he realized what he had, he reached out to Dikembe to try and make a deal to return the items … but never heard back. So, naturally, the next step … is eBay.
Naturally. Thank Buddha somebody is finally putting some Nike basketball shoes on eBay.
- Sunday NBA grades: Nene, Aldridge lead day where big men shine 0
- LaMarcus Aldridge’s Trail Blazers claw back for Game 1 win over Houston Rockets 3
- Bulls have no answer for Nene as Wizards take Game 1 12
- Charlotte is scrappy but Heat have too much in comfortable 99-88 win 18
- Spurs use huge 4th quarter run to come back and win Game 1 vs. Mavericks 8