Sep 11, 2013, 5:24 PM EDT
LeBron said this week he was not going to discuss his pending free agency during the season (he can opt out after this season and is expected to). LeBron will make a statement on the first day of training camp and then not discuss the issue all season.
Carmelo Anthony is planning the same thing, he told the Associated Press Tuesday.
“I’m not. I’m just not going to do it,” he said. “I’m going to let everybody know the first day that I’m not going to talk about it. Hopefully you guys and your colleagues respect that, and that’s it.”
Yes, I’m sure the New York media will just let that die. No problem.
As with James, the Internet abhors a vacuum and his lack of talk will be filled by speculation and rumors — whether or not there is validity to them. This is not going to be that easy for ‘Melo or LeBron.
And like LeBron, I don’t expect Anthony is going to move when the season is over. He may opt out and get the security of a longer deal, but smart money is betting Anthony is not leaving Manhattan.
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 0
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 4
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 4
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 16
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3