Sep 11, 2013, 5:24 PM EDT
LeBron said this week he was not going to discuss his pending free agency during the season (he can opt out after this season and is expected to). LeBron will make a statement on the first day of training camp and then not discuss the issue all season.
Carmelo Anthony is planning the same thing, he told the Associated Press Tuesday.
“I’m not. I’m just not going to do it,” he said. “I’m going to let everybody know the first day that I’m not going to talk about it. Hopefully you guys and your colleagues respect that, and that’s it.”
Yes, I’m sure the New York media will just let that die. No problem.
As with James, the Internet abhors a vacuum and his lack of talk will be filled by speculation and rumors — whether or not there is validity to them. This is not going to be that easy for ‘Melo or LeBron.
And like LeBron, I don’t expect Anthony is going to move when the season is over. He may opt out and get the security of a longer deal, but smart money is betting Anthony is not leaving Manhattan.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 38
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18