Sep 11, 2013, 5:24 PM EDT
LeBron said this week he was not going to discuss his pending free agency during the season (he can opt out after this season and is expected to). LeBron will make a statement on the first day of training camp and then not discuss the issue all season.
Carmelo Anthony is planning the same thing, he told the Associated Press Tuesday.
“I’m not. I’m just not going to do it,” he said. “I’m going to let everybody know the first day that I’m not going to talk about it. Hopefully you guys and your colleagues respect that, and that’s it.”
Yes, I’m sure the New York media will just let that die. No problem.
As with James, the Internet abhors a vacuum and his lack of talk will be filled by speculation and rumors — whether or not there is validity to them. This is not going to be that easy for ‘Melo or LeBron.
And like LeBron, I don’t expect Anthony is going to move when the season is over. He may opt out and get the security of a longer deal, but smart money is betting Anthony is not leaving Manhattan.
- LeBron’s 30-point performance leads Cavaliers to hard-fought Game 2 win over Celtics 4
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul 3
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Can Memphis keep Damian Lillard in check? 0
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 12
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14