Carmelo Anthony isn’t talking free agency, either

Sep 11, 2013, 5:24 PM EDT

Carmelo Anthony AP

Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James are using the same playbook.

LeBron said this week he was not going to discuss his pending free agency during the season (he can opt out after this season and is expected to). LeBron will make a statement on the first day of training camp and then not discuss the issue all season.

Carmelo Anthony is planning the same thing, he told the Associated Press Tuesday.

“I’m not. I’m just not going to do it,” he said. “I’m going to let everybody know the first day that I’m not going to talk about it. Hopefully you guys and your colleagues respect that, and that’s it.”

Yes, I’m sure the New York media will just let that die. No problem.

As with James, the Internet abhors a vacuum and his lack of talk will be filled by speculation and rumors — whether or not there is validity to them. This is not going to be that easy for ‘Melo or LeBron.

And like LeBron, I don’t expect Anthony is going to move when the season is over. He may opt out and get the security of a longer deal, but smart money is betting Anthony is not leaving Manhattan.

1. jhuck92 - Sep 11, 2013 at 6:01 PM

What’s the point of asking pending big name free agents when you know they’re just going to respond with “Derrick Rose non-update” updates?

2. meechmeech - Sep 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Lebron didn’t say anything about making a statement on opening day.

• Kurt Helin - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:23 AM

He said he planned to address it — by saying he would not talk about it — the first day of camp and that would be it.

3. thebigcaptain2011 - Sep 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I’ll answer it for him: Another early exit from the playoffs and subsequent exit to L. A.

4. legend30 - Sep 11, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I feel like they ask them (LeBron and Melo) the same question every two weeks. I’m pretty sure I already read this article several times. This is newsworthy?

5. thetooloftools - Sep 11, 2013 at 9:28 PM

The “who really gives a damn factor'” was killed by “The Decision”.

6. heyhappy420 - Sep 12, 2013 at 5:01 AM

man melos going to the lakers. 6 for kobeeeee.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches