Sep 11, 2013, 12:14 AM EDT
The Knicks had a great regular season in 2013, finishing with the second-best record in the East behind only the defending champion Miami Heat.
But despite the competition stiffening this offseason, the Knicks star believes that his team will be even better next season.
“We were the top two seed last year,’’ Anthony said. “I think nobody expected that. This year we expect to do the same thing. I actually see this team be better than last year’s team. I won’t get into all the details [why]. But we feel that. We feel we have improved as a unit.”
The Knicks went 54-28, winning the Atlantic Division, but petered out in the second round, losing in six games to the Pacers. The Knicks drafted Tim Hardaway Jr. and added Metta World Peace, Andrea Bargnani and point guard Beno Udrih. Their losses were Jason Kidd, Steve Novak and Marcus Camby, all three of whom barely played in the playoffs. Still, some are predicting the Knicks to drop to fifth in the East.
Those who are expecting a drop off for the Knicks next year are doing so largely based on what’s going on with other teams, as opposed to focusing on whether New York improved, stayed the same, or got worse from a talent perspective.
Most expect the Heat to be near the top of the Conference once again, and the Pacers, coming off of a trip to the Eastern Conference Finals, added depth to their bench which (along with that experience) have many favoring them to make a regular season leap this season.
Then there are the Bulls, who expect to have Derrick Rose ready for the first day of training camp. His addition alone would appear to make Chicago formidable all season long.
The way the others in the East’s upper echelon bulked up, the Knicks are going to have their hands full. Anthony’s comments aren’t a surprise, but he may have a tougher time than he did a season ago in leading his team to as high as a two-seed for the second straight season.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 11
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29