Sep 10, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
We passed along word last night from our man Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com that talks between Luol Deng and the Chicago Bulls on a contract extension had broken down.
Now the Chicago Tribune is reporting the Bulls have told Deng the talks are tabled until after the season so Deng’s agent says the All-Star forward will be a free agent summer.
The agent for Luol Deng said Tuesday that the two-time All-Star forward would “certainly visit free agency” next summer after being informed by Bulls management that contract extension talks would be tabled until after the 2013-14 season.
“Luol has taken the position that he will definitely go through the free-agent process,” said Herb Rudoy, Deng’s Chicago-based agent.
Deng will be in the second tier of free agents next summer — he’s no LeBron James, but he would be in the mix with potential free agents such as Zach Randolph, Danny Granger and other eight-figure salary guys. There will be demand and he will make $10 million or more a year, most likely. Even in the world of the new CBA.
The Bulls might try to re-sign him, or they could let him walk, amnesty Carlos Boozer and go after another star they think is a better fit with Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah (who have longer term contracts). The Bulls have options.
But it’s pretty clear they plan to rebuild key parts of the roster next summer.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 5
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 10
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 30
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 8