Sep 10, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
We passed along word last night from our man Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com that talks between Luol Deng and the Chicago Bulls on a contract extension had broken down.
Now the Chicago Tribune is reporting the Bulls have told Deng the talks are tabled until after the season so Deng’s agent says the All-Star forward will be a free agent summer.
The agent for Luol Deng said Tuesday that the two-time All-Star forward would “certainly visit free agency” next summer after being informed by Bulls management that contract extension talks would be tabled until after the 2013-14 season.
“Luol has taken the position that he will definitely go through the free-agent process,” said Herb Rudoy, Deng’s Chicago-based agent.
Deng will be in the second tier of free agents next summer — he’s no LeBron James, but he would be in the mix with potential free agents such as Zach Randolph, Danny Granger and other eight-figure salary guys. There will be demand and he will make $10 million or more a year, most likely. Even in the world of the new CBA.
The Bulls might try to re-sign him, or they could let him walk, amnesty Carlos Boozer and go after another star they think is a better fit with Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah (who have longer term contracts). The Bulls have options.
But it’s pretty clear they plan to rebuild key parts of the roster next summer.
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 0
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 8
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 5
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 35
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 14
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3