Sep 10, 2013, 1:43 PM EDT
Fab Melo isn’t much of an NBA player right now — that’s part of the reason Boston traded him to Memphis this summer (the other was money), and it’s a key reason Memphis waived him even though they still had to pay him $1.3 million.
However, if you’re a GM that has room for a prospect big on your roster — one you can really send to your D-League affiliate for stretches as he needs more seasoning (he averaged 9.8 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.1 blocks in the D-League last year and looked raw) — Melo could be a good fit.
The market is dry for Melo, but he may spend the fall in Dallas.
Melo is going to get a training camp invite from the Mavericks, tweets Marc Stein of ESPN.
Thing is, Dallas has 15 guaranteed contracts on their roster already, they can’t add anyone — this would be a training camp and training camp only invite for Melo.
Maybe if he played well he could catch the eye of another team, but you would imagine his preference is to head to camp somewhere with a shot of making the roster.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 7
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 36
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40