Sep 10, 2013, 1:43 PM EDT
Fab Melo isn’t much of an NBA player right now — that’s part of the reason Boston traded him to Memphis this summer (the other was money), and it’s a key reason Memphis waived him even though they still had to pay him $1.3 million.
However, if you’re a GM that has room for a prospect big on your roster — one you can really send to your D-League affiliate for stretches as he needs more seasoning (he averaged 9.8 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.1 blocks in the D-League last year and looked raw) — Melo could be a good fit.
The market is dry for Melo, but he may spend the fall in Dallas.
Melo is going to get a training camp invite from the Mavericks, tweets Marc Stein of ESPN.
Thing is, Dallas has 15 guaranteed contracts on their roster already, they can’t add anyone — this would be a training camp and training camp only invite for Melo.
Maybe if he played well he could catch the eye of another team, but you would imagine his preference is to head to camp somewhere with a shot of making the roster.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31