Sep 10, 2013, 1:43 PM EST
Fab Melo isn’t much of an NBA player right now — that’s part of the reason Boston traded him to Memphis this summer (the other was money), and it’s a key reason Memphis waived him even though they still had to pay him $1.3 million.
However, if you’re a GM that has room for a prospect big on your roster — one you can really send to your D-League affiliate for stretches as he needs more seasoning (he averaged 9.8 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.1 blocks in the D-League last year and looked raw) — Melo could be a good fit.
The market is dry for Melo, but he may spend the fall in Dallas.
Melo is going to get a training camp invite from the Mavericks, tweets Marc Stein of ESPN.
Thing is, Dallas has 15 guaranteed contracts on their roster already, they can’t add anyone — this would be a training camp and training camp only invite for Melo.
Maybe if he played well he could catch the eye of another team, but you would imagine his preference is to head to camp somewhere with a shot of making the roster.
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 13
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 27
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 11
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2
- LeBron James on Cavaliers’ struggles: “I stink” 20