Sep 10, 2013, 1:43 PM EST
Fab Melo isn’t much of an NBA player right now — that’s part of the reason Boston traded him to Memphis this summer (the other was money), and it’s a key reason Memphis waived him even though they still had to pay him $1.3 million.
However, if you’re a GM that has room for a prospect big on your roster — one you can really send to your D-League affiliate for stretches as he needs more seasoning (he averaged 9.8 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.1 blocks in the D-League last year and looked raw) — Melo could be a good fit.
The market is dry for Melo, but he may spend the fall in Dallas.
Melo is going to get a training camp invite from the Mavericks, tweets Marc Stein of ESPN.
Thing is, Dallas has 15 guaranteed contracts on their roster already, they can’t add anyone — this would be a training camp and training camp only invite for Melo.
Maybe if he played well he could catch the eye of another team, but you would imagine his preference is to head to camp somewhere with a shot of making the roster.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 8
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11