Sep 10, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
When he’s on the court, Marcus Camby can still help a team, even at age 39. He is long, is smart about defending the rim and you have to respect his midrange jumper as a defender.
The key is “when he’s on the court.”
Camby has an injury list longer than the list of bad Brendan Fraser movies. Well, almost that long. Camby got in just 24 games for the Knicks last season.
This season Camby is one of the bigs off the bench for the Houston Rockets — but he might not get off the bench every night, Camby told the Houston Chronicle. He’s there partially to mentor younger players and he may not get many minutes.
This time, Camby said coach Kevin McHale told him there will be games in which he does not play. Camby accepted the diminished role and will view his mentoring responsibilities as a step toward his post-playing career plan to go into coaching….
“He’s one of the smarter players in the league, somebody who has a great feel for what it takes to win. It (Camby’s coaching aspiration) is not something we’re focused on. We’re focused on the floor, but it’s something I can see him doing….
“If the player can’t play, I put zero value on it,” Morey said. “Marcus is a guy who can still help you win, and at the same time, we’re short on guys with experience like his and leaders. I think he adds a lot because of that.”
Houston is going to start Dwight Howard at center, that we know. They could go twin towers and start Omer Asik at the four, or they could start Greg Smith at the four. Donatas Motiejunas is going to get front line minutes as well.
All of which isn’t going to leave a lot of run for Camby. But if he can give them 12 solid minutes most nights and be strong in the locker room helping this team meld, he will have a key role.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 1
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 36
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38