Sep 10, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
The Atlanta Hawks roster is pretty much set, they have 14 guys under guaranteed contracts.
They could add a 15th player, but don’t expect them to. The reason is Lou Williams and his recovery from knee surgery, speculates Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
I expect the Hawks to keep just 14 on the roster for the regular season. General manager Danny Ferry likes to have the flexibility of the additional roster spot. The status of Lou Williams, rehabbing from a torn ACL, is still a factor in determining the roster.
Williams blew out his ACL last January and the recovery was expected to take into the start of this season. Leaving a roster space open allows Ferry to have some flexibility, either to bring in another player (if someone he likes comes open, right now the free agent market is pretty thin) or make a two-for-one trade. A lot of GMs like to just have 14 on their rosters, if they can.
Whenever Williams does come back, look for the Hawks to use him as a sixth man, a gunner off the bench. That could be good for Williams, who averaged 14.1 points a game mostly in that role last season. He’s not an efficient scorer, but when he comes in he can change the dynamic of a game.
The question is when he gets back on the court, and really when he starts to feel like his old self. The Hawks do not have a large margin for error to make the playoffs.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 25
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 29
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4