Sep 10, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
The Atlanta Hawks roster is pretty much set, they have 14 guys under guaranteed contracts.
They could add a 15th player, but don’t expect them to. The reason is Lou Williams and his recovery from knee surgery, speculates Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
I expect the Hawks to keep just 14 on the roster for the regular season. General manager Danny Ferry likes to have the flexibility of the additional roster spot. The status of Lou Williams, rehabbing from a torn ACL, is still a factor in determining the roster.
Williams blew out his ACL last January and the recovery was expected to take into the start of this season. Leaving a roster space open allows Ferry to have some flexibility, either to bring in another player (if someone he likes comes open, right now the free agent market is pretty thin) or make a two-for-one trade. A lot of GMs like to just have 14 on their rosters, if they can.
Whenever Williams does come back, look for the Hawks to use him as a sixth man, a gunner off the bench. That could be good for Williams, who averaged 14.1 points a game mostly in that role last season. He’s not an efficient scorer, but when he comes in he can change the dynamic of a game.
The question is when he gets back on the court, and really when he starts to feel like his old self. The Hawks do not have a large margin for error to make the playoffs.
- With lower-than-expected salary cap, will Rockets and Pelicans still complete Omer Asik trade? 14
- Reports: LeBron James and agent done meeting with teams 71
- Rockets can’t keep Dwight Howard, James Harden and Chandler Parsons and give Chris Bosh max contract 44
- Donald Sterling in court calls wife “pig,” promises to sue NBA “until I die” 39
- Report: LeBron James leaves meeting with Pat Riley without committing to Heat 86
- Report: Mavericks shake up Rockets’ free-agent plans, agree to offer sheet with Chandler Parsons 40
- Gregg Popovich agrees to extension with Spurs, likely stays past Tim Duncan era 30
- Report: Cavaliers want to swing Kevin Love trade if LeBron James comes to town 51