Sep 10, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
The Atlanta Hawks roster is pretty much set, they have 14 guys under guaranteed contracts.
They could add a 15th player, but don’t expect them to. The reason is Lou Williams and his recovery from knee surgery, speculates Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
I expect the Hawks to keep just 14 on the roster for the regular season. General manager Danny Ferry likes to have the flexibility of the additional roster spot. The status of Lou Williams, rehabbing from a torn ACL, is still a factor in determining the roster.
Williams blew out his ACL last January and the recovery was expected to take into the start of this season. Leaving a roster space open allows Ferry to have some flexibility, either to bring in another player (if someone he likes comes open, right now the free agent market is pretty thin) or make a two-for-one trade. A lot of GMs like to just have 14 on their rosters, if they can.
Whenever Williams does come back, look for the Hawks to use him as a sixth man, a gunner off the bench. That could be good for Williams, who averaged 14.1 points a game mostly in that role last season. He’s not an efficient scorer, but when he comes in he can change the dynamic of a game.
The question is when he gets back on the court, and really when he starts to feel like his old self. The Hawks do not have a large margin for error to make the playoffs.
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 0
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 0
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, out indefinitely 4
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 35
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 4
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 29
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 25