LeBron James’ wedding reportedly will be a three-day bash

Sep 10, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT

The 2013 ESPY Awards - Audience Getty Images

I’m a fan of destination weddings (at least I was before I had children) — you and friends head off to some location and spend three days together celebrating the wedding of a friend. You play some golf, you have a few drinks, you eat, you dance, and a good time is had by all.

LeBron James is doing that this weekend in San Diego when he weds his long-time girlfriend Savannah Brinson, reports the gossip pages of the New York Post.

But he’s not going as big as you might expect.

Sources tell us James is planning a smaller wedding than what would normally be expected of an NBA All-Star’s nuptials. “He cut the list down because he didn’t want to have 1,000 people at the wedding,” said one source…

We hear the festivities will begin with a welcome barbecue on Friday evening before the afternoon wedding on Saturday, which will be followed by cocktails, dinner and dancing to DJs and possibly a live band. Wedding guests will feast at a farewell brunch on ¬Sunday, to close the weekend bash.

San Diego is one of America’s great vacation spots — it’s beautiful, clean and the weather is fantastic.

Congratulations to LeBron and Savannah, I hope it’s a long and happy marriage. Let us know where to send the toaster.

1. kpow55 - Sep 10, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Atleast he’s kind enough to not punish his out of town guests with a trip to Florida.

2. yournuts - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Kurt,
    My daughter’s wedding was a three day affair. In fact most Weddings are a three day affairs. Where are you living in a cave? What kind of reporting is this? Laughable ignorance is ridiculous. You better get up to date, it has been this way for 15 years now. Pathetic, just pathetic reporting.

• Kurt Helin - Sep 10, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I was married 11 years ago, we had a wedding and a reception, but it was not an all weekend affair. It’s nice for those that have friends and family who can swing a destination wedding. I hope you and your daughter had fun.

• asimonetti88 - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Last wedding I went to was a wedding and reception, just the afternoon and evening. Weddings are expensive to begin with, you start making it a multiple day affair and it gets pricy!

• fanofthegame79 - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:20 PM

For those invited, as well!

• miamatt - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I’ve been to my share of weddings, including 1 year ago, and I’ve yet to see one that lasts more than a day.

Family in from out of town and getting together? A bachelor party? Sure…. but none of that is confused with the wedding proper.

3. yuwannano - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Where’s my invite?!?

4. kingwithringz - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Congrats Champ.

5. 13fitzj - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Will the DJ work 24 hours a day for the entire duration of that weekend?

6. chiadam - Sep 10, 2013 at 5:04 PM

LeBron will broom his wife and steal Dwyane Wade’s at the first sign of adversity.

7. asimonetti88 - Sep 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I’ll be in SD this weekend, maybe he can invite me over.

8. mustangs2 - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM

More than likely not the only ring he will get this year

9. panchopolarbear - Sep 11, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Congrats to the King!

10. BigBeachBall - Sep 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Hawaii is where the high rollers go…
    Maybe Lebron shouldn’t have taken that paycut…

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. B. Beal (8395)
  2. K. McDaniels (7577)
  3. K. Durant (7571)
  4. R. Rondo (6971)
  5. K. Leonard (6934)
  1. B. Lopez (6716)
  2. M. Carter-Williams (6713)
  3. V. Oladipo (6471)