LeBron James’ wedding reportedly will be a three-day bash

Sep 10, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT

The 2013 ESPY Awards - Audience Getty Images

I’m a fan of destination weddings (at least I was before I had children) — you and friends head off to some location and spend three days together celebrating the wedding of a friend. You play some golf, you have a few drinks, you eat, you dance, and a good time is had by all.

LeBron James is doing that this weekend in San Diego when he weds his long-time girlfriend Savannah Brinson, reports the gossip pages of the New York Post.

But he’s not going as big as you might expect.

Sources tell us James is planning a smaller wedding than what would normally be expected of an NBA All-Star’s nuptials. “He cut the list down because he didn’t want to have 1,000 people at the wedding,” said one source…

We hear the festivities will begin with a welcome barbecue on Friday evening before the afternoon wedding on Saturday, which will be followed by cocktails, dinner and dancing to DJs and possibly a live band. Wedding guests will feast at a farewell brunch on ¬Sunday, to close the weekend bash.

San Diego is one of America’s great vacation spots — it’s beautiful, clean and the weather is fantastic.

Congratulations to LeBron and Savannah, I hope it’s a long and happy marriage. Let us know where to send the toaster.

1. kpow55 - Sep 10, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Atleast he’s kind enough to not punish his out of town guests with a trip to Florida.

2. yournuts - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Kurt,
    My daughter’s wedding was a three day affair. In fact most Weddings are a three day affairs. Where are you living in a cave? What kind of reporting is this? Laughable ignorance is ridiculous. You better get up to date, it has been this way for 15 years now. Pathetic, just pathetic reporting.

• Kurt Helin - Sep 10, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I was married 11 years ago, we had a wedding and a reception, but it was not an all weekend affair. It’s nice for those that have friends and family who can swing a destination wedding. I hope you and your daughter had fun.

• asimonetti88 - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Last wedding I went to was a wedding and reception, just the afternoon and evening. Weddings are expensive to begin with, you start making it a multiple day affair and it gets pricy!

• fanofthegame79 - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:20 PM

For those invited, as well!

• miamatt - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I’ve been to my share of weddings, including 1 year ago, and I’ve yet to see one that lasts more than a day.

Family in from out of town and getting together? A bachelor party? Sure…. but none of that is confused with the wedding proper.

3. yuwannano - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Where’s my invite?!?

4. kingwithringz - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Congrats Champ.

5. 13fitzj - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Will the DJ work 24 hours a day for the entire duration of that weekend?

6. chiadam - Sep 10, 2013 at 5:04 PM

LeBron will broom his wife and steal Dwyane Wade’s at the first sign of adversity.

7. asimonetti88 - Sep 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I’ll be in SD this weekend, maybe he can invite me over.

8. mustangs2 - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM

More than likely not the only ring he will get this year

9. panchopolarbear - Sep 11, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Congrats to the King!

10. BigBeachBall - Sep 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Hawaii is where the high rollers go…
    Maybe Lebron shouldn’t have taken that paycut…

Top 10 NBA Player Searches