J.J. Redick likes the pressure of playing for the Clippers

Sep 10, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT

J.J. Redick AP

J.J. Redick was an unrestricted free agent at the beginning of the summer, but ended up with the Clippers as part of the three-team trade with the Bucks and the Suns that landed Jared Dudley in L.A., and Eric Bledoe and Caron Butler in Phoenix.

The Suns later traded Butler to Milwaukee in a separate deal for some young assets, so it makes the Bucks losing Redick after trading for him last season a bit more palatable.

It appears now, though, that Redick was never likely to re-sign in Milwaukee. He wanted to play for a contender all along, and says he’s always played his best when the pressure was on.

From Eric Patten of Clippers.com:

“Going back to the week or so we were getting this deal done during free agency, I mentioned to [Clippers head coach] Doc [Rivers] that I wanted to be in this situation because there was going to be pressure, because there was going to be expectations,” Redick said. “I feel like when I look back at my career I’ve always done better and I’ve always been happier when there’s more expectation and more pressure.”

Redick will get his wish, but only to a certain extent.

The Clippers had high expectations last season, too, but were largely let off the hook by local and national media alike after collapsing in the first round of the playoffs. L.A. took a 2-0 series lead over the Grizzlies, before dropping the next four on their way to an embarrassing exit. Vinny Del Negro took essentially all of the blame for that one, and with Rivers now roaming the sidelines, it would be tough to see something similar unfolding next season.

The Clippers will be good, and should be a top-four team in the Western Conference. But there are evident flaws with the squad on paper, and it isn’t as though a title is expected in Clipperland anytime soon. The expectations are only there to a finite point, but wherever that line is, it’s much closer to a championship than it would have been in Milwaukee, so from that standpoint, Redick chose wisely.

1. spthegr8 - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Since when do role players like J.J start feeling pressure??? I mean, it’s not like he has the same response abilities as Cp3. & I’m not hating on J.J., he is a solid role player. I’m Just Saying’!!!!

• kjereld615 - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Every pro basketball player feels pressure at one point or another, whether it is to make a precise assist to your teammate or to shoot a game winning shot. This applies to both starters and bench players because when your number is called you are expected to produce, if that’s not enough pressure then I don’t know what is.

2. rtwoj - Sep 11, 2013 at 3:47 AM

“pressure of playing for the Clippers”???

Did he shrink his uniform or something? What pressure?

• spursareold - Sep 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM

EXACTLY. I hate the Lakers, but the Clippers are definitely the second banana in their own city. They’re exciting, but their ceiling is realistically still “second round out”.

• Kevin D. - Sep 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Second banana in merchandising, maybe. Not in the quality of the product on the court, though…and I don’t think “second round out” is AT ALL a realistic ceiling for this team.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches