As he will all season long, LeBron dodges free agency question

Sep 10, 2013, 12:05 PM EST

BASKET-NBA-HEAT-JAMES Getty Images

Back in 2010, LeBron James spent the entire season trying to avoid the “will he leave Cleveland” question. He wouldn’t answer it directly. Of course, the Internet abhors a vacuum, so his lack of information was filled by the speculation of media and the hopes of fans until the thing swirled into a massive circus.

LeBron can opt out of his Miami Heat contract next summer and most likely will to get the security of a longer deal (five years with the Heat, four with another team).

He will be asked about his plans roughly 3,694,507 times this season, and he plans to dodge the question again. As he did with Chris Broussard of ESPN.com.

“I have absolutely no idea,” James recently told ESPN.com. “I would love to spend the rest of my career in Miami with this great team and great organization as we continue to compete for championships. That’s ideal. But we don’t know what may happen from now to the end of the season. That’s the nature of the business. It’s the nature of not knowing what tomorrow brings.

“I mean, as a kid, I never thought the Bulls would break up. Never. If you’d of told me as a kid that (Michael) Jordan and (Scottie) Pippen wouldn’t play together for the rest of their lives, I’d have looked at you crazy. And Phil Jackson wouldn’t be the coach? I’d have looked at you crazy. But sometimes the nature of the business doesn’t allow things to happen like you would want them to. But we’ll see.”

I’ve said before I expect LeBron will stay in Miami because he trusts Pat Riley to restructure the team to keep it in contention (recruiting guys to come play with LeBron in Miami isn’t the hardest sell). It’s the kind of trust he didn’t have with the management and ownership in Cleveland.

However, perspectives can change over the course of a year. LeBron may see Miami after this playoff run and think that the Cavaliers or Lakers or wherever may give him a better shot at titles. And with that he could bolt. It’s smart business to keep his options open.

For now, he’s going to dodge the question and focus on a three-peat with Miami, he said.

“I owe it to myself, I owe it my teammates and I owe it to the Miami Heat to stay focused,” he said. “As a leader, I’m not even going to let that side of the business get me unfocused on what I’m trying to do and that’s trying to win another championship.

“I’m going to try to (stop the discussion about free agency), but you always have reporters who are going to always bring it up. They’re going to change the question and make it sound like something else. But it will get to a point, if I continue to hear it, where I will say, ‘Hey guys, I’ve answered the question and out of respect, let’s talk about this after the season.”‘

Good luck with that.

Latest Posts
  1. Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City?

Jan 29, 2015, 1:29 AM EST

Carmelo Anthony, Russell Westbrook AP

The Sixers, Knicks and Timberwolves win on the same day? Isn’t that one of the signs of the apocalypse?

2. Hornets’ Kemba Walker has successful knee surgery, expected to miss a minimum of 6 weeks

Jan 29, 2015, 12:01 AM EST

New Orleans Pelicans v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

The good news is that Walker may return in as little as six weeks, which means Charlotte’s playoff chances should remain intact.

3. George Gervin on Klay Thompson’s 37-point quarter: ‘I don’t feel he broke my record’

Jan 28, 2015, 11:15 PM EST

NBA All-Star Jam Session 2014 Getty Images

The Hall of Famer held the previous record with 33 points in a period, but did so before the three-point line was implemented.

4. NBA says Matt Barnes’ $25K fine had nothing to do with Suns owner Robert Sarver

Jan 28, 2015, 8:50 PM EST

Los Angeles Clippers v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

Barnes immediately played the victim card after receiving the fine, but the NBA (and the video) say otherwise.

5. Phil Jackson denies illegally deflating basketballs while playing for the Knicks

Jan 28, 2015, 7:50 PM EST

Phil Jackson, James Dolan, executive chairman of the Madison Square Garden Company AP

“Softer but not illegal,” Jackson attempted to clarify.

6. LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury

Jan 28, 2015, 7:00 PM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Cleveland is just 1-8 without LeBron in the lineup this season.

7. Kobe Bryant expected to be ready for start of 2015-16 season after undergoing successful shoulder surgery

Jan 28, 2015, 6:37 PM EST

Phoenix Suns v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Bryant will miss the remainder of the current season, and is expected to be sidelined for nine months.

8. J.R. Smith says he’s playing better in Cleveland because there’s less partying

Jan 28, 2015, 6:13 PM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

One may have to work a little harder to find the late night parties in Cleveland.

9. Bucks sign Jorge Gutierrez to 10-day contract

Jan 28, 2015, 5:30 PM EST

Jason Kidd AP

Larry Sanders’ suspension allows Milwaukee to add 16th player

10. Tayshaun Prince: “Obviously I want to be in a winning situation”

Jan 28, 2015, 4:45 PM EST

Boston Celtics v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

He is likely bought out if the Celtics can’t find a trade partner.

11. Nets doctor expects Mirza Teletovic to make full recovery

Jan 28, 2015, 1:55 PM EST

Washington Wizards v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Teletovic being released from hospital today

12. Phil Jackson once admitted championship Knicks deflated balls

Jan 28, 2015, 1:17 PM EST

Jackson AP

Jackson said breaking rule gave New York an edge due to team’s style of play

13. Kevin Durant out against Knicks

Jan 28, 2015, 12:42 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v New York Knicks Getty Images

Thunder remain heavy favorites

14. Report: Terrence Ross riding bench in Toronto but will not be traded

Jan 28, 2015, 12:05 PM EST

Philadelphia 76ers V Toronto Raptors Getty Images

The Raptors are trying to be patient and tap into his potential.

15. Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him

Jan 28, 2015, 11:17 AM EST

Chicago Bulls V San Antonio Spurs Getty Images

Mirotic, drafted in 2011, is a darkhorse challenger to Andrew Wiggins for Rookie of the Year

Who should be All-Star Game reserves?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches