As he will all season long, LeBron dodges free agency question

Sep 10, 2013, 12:05 PM EDT

BASKET-NBA-HEAT-JAMES Getty Images

Back in 2010, LeBron James spent the entire season trying to avoid the “will he leave Cleveland” question. He wouldn’t answer it directly. Of course, the Internet abhors a vacuum, so his lack of information was filled by the speculation of media and the hopes of fans until the thing swirled into a massive circus.

LeBron can opt out of his Miami Heat contract next summer and most likely will to get the security of a longer deal (five years with the Heat, four with another team).

He will be asked about his plans roughly 3,694,507 times this season, and he plans to dodge the question again. As he did with Chris Broussard of ESPN.com.

“I have absolutely no idea,” James recently told ESPN.com. “I would love to spend the rest of my career in Miami with this great team and great organization as we continue to compete for championships. That’s ideal. But we don’t know what may happen from now to the end of the season. That’s the nature of the business. It’s the nature of not knowing what tomorrow brings.

“I mean, as a kid, I never thought the Bulls would break up. Never. If you’d of told me as a kid that (Michael) Jordan and (Scottie) Pippen wouldn’t play together for the rest of their lives, I’d have looked at you crazy. And Phil Jackson wouldn’t be the coach? I’d have looked at you crazy. But sometimes the nature of the business doesn’t allow things to happen like you would want them to. But we’ll see.”

I’ve said before I expect LeBron will stay in Miami because he trusts Pat Riley to restructure the team to keep it in contention (recruiting guys to come play with LeBron in Miami isn’t the hardest sell). It’s the kind of trust he didn’t have with the management and ownership in Cleveland.

However, perspectives can change over the course of a year. LeBron may see Miami after this playoff run and think that the Cavaliers or Lakers or wherever may give him a better shot at titles. And with that he could bolt. It’s smart business to keep his options open.

For now, he’s going to dodge the question and focus on a three-peat with Miami, he said.

“I owe it to myself, I owe it my teammates and I owe it to the Miami Heat to stay focused,” he said. “As a leader, I’m not even going to let that side of the business get me unfocused on what I’m trying to do and that’s trying to win another championship.

“I’m going to try to (stop the discussion about free agency), but you always have reporters who are going to always bring it up. They’re going to change the question and make it sound like something else. But it will get to a point, if I continue to hear it, where I will say, ‘Hey guys, I’ve answered the question and out of respect, let’s talk about this after the season.”‘

Good luck with that.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Former NBA player Rex Chapman arrested for stealing product from Apple store

Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

Rex Chapman, Ashley Judd Rex Chapman, Ashley Judd

Chapman played four years for the Suns, and is facing charges in Scottsdale, AZ.

2. Andrew Bogut is feeling healthy, takes charges on D at Warriors scrimmage

Sep 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT

Andrew Bogut AP

Must-read quote from Bogut on how he does NOT want to be perceived.

3. All PBT’s NBA team previews in one convenient spot

Sep 19, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Miami Heat - Game 7 Getty Images

This post is here to make life easier for you when you want to find these at the end of the season and point out how wrong we were.

4. UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks

Sep 19, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT

New York Knicks v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

It has to be a sign and trade and Minnesota doesn’t have a lot of leverage here.

5. Jeff Green says he wants to be leader on Celtics this season

Sep 19, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Jeff Green AP

“It was more just becoming a better all-around player, trying to take the next step and become a leader on this team and will my team to win.” —Jeff Green

6. James Dolan enlists Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire to break world kazoo record

Sep 19, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT

dolan stoudemire anthony kazoo

And you wonder why Phil Jackson is worth $12 million a year to the Knicks organization.

7. Hawks’ Budenholzer adjusting to coach/GM role, had mentor for many years in Popovich

Sep 19, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

Mike Budenholzer

Budenholzer got thrust into a position with the power a lot of coaches covet.

8. Cavaliers sign Lou Amundson

Sep 19, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT

Serge Ibaka, Lou Amundson Serge Ibaka, Lou Amundson

Will he make Cleveland’s regular-season roster?

9. LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12

Sep 19, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT

9.15.14 Nike LeBron 12 Launch

Full recap from the launch event at Nike World Headquarters in Portland, Oregon, including technical information, details on colorways, and confirmed release dates.

10. ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors

Sep 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Toronto Raptors - Game Seven Getty Images

Kyle Lowry and Co. return for another run

11. Grizzlies sign Hassan Whiteside

Sep 19, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Rio Grande Valley Vipers vs. Fort Wayne Mad Ants Rio Grande Valley Vipers vs. Fort Wayne Mad Ants

Former Kings draft pick joins three other players competing to make Memphis’ roster

12. Miroslav Raduljica signs in China

Sep 19, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Miroslav Raduljica Miroslav Raduljica

Raduljica, after solid rookie year, leaves NBA sooner than he’d hoped.

13. Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style

Sep 19, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Dwyane Wade AP

“Then it became a competition amongst guys and now you really got into it more and you started to really understand the clothes you put on your body.” —Dwyane Wade

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches