As he will all season long, LeBron dodges free agency question

Sep 10, 2013, 12:05 PM EST

BASKET-NBA-HEAT-JAMES Getty Images

Back in 2010, LeBron James spent the entire season trying to avoid the “will he leave Cleveland” question. He wouldn’t answer it directly. Of course, the Internet abhors a vacuum, so his lack of information was filled by the speculation of media and the hopes of fans until the thing swirled into a massive circus.

LeBron can opt out of his Miami Heat contract next summer and most likely will to get the security of a longer deal (five years with the Heat, four with another team).

He will be asked about his plans roughly 3,694,507 times this season, and he plans to dodge the question again. As he did with Chris Broussard of ESPN.com.

“I have absolutely no idea,” James recently told ESPN.com. “I would love to spend the rest of my career in Miami with this great team and great organization as we continue to compete for championships. That’s ideal. But we don’t know what may happen from now to the end of the season. That’s the nature of the business. It’s the nature of not knowing what tomorrow brings.

“I mean, as a kid, I never thought the Bulls would break up. Never. If you’d of told me as a kid that (Michael) Jordan and (Scottie) Pippen wouldn’t play together for the rest of their lives, I’d have looked at you crazy. And Phil Jackson wouldn’t be the coach? I’d have looked at you crazy. But sometimes the nature of the business doesn’t allow things to happen like you would want them to. But we’ll see.”

I’ve said before I expect LeBron will stay in Miami because he trusts Pat Riley to restructure the team to keep it in contention (recruiting guys to come play with LeBron in Miami isn’t the hardest sell). It’s the kind of trust he didn’t have with the management and ownership in Cleveland.

However, perspectives can change over the course of a year. LeBron may see Miami after this playoff run and think that the Cavaliers or Lakers or wherever may give him a better shot at titles. And with that he could bolt. It’s smart business to keep his options open.

For now, he’s going to dodge the question and focus on a three-peat with Miami, he said.

“I owe it to myself, I owe it my teammates and I owe it to the Miami Heat to stay focused,” he said. “As a leader, I’m not even going to let that side of the business get me unfocused on what I’m trying to do and that’s trying to win another championship.

“I’m going to try to (stop the discussion about free agency), but you always have reporters who are going to always bring it up. They’re going to change the question and make it sound like something else. But it will get to a point, if I continue to hear it, where I will say, ‘Hey guys, I’ve answered the question and out of respect, let’s talk about this after the season.”‘

Good luck with that.

Latest Posts
  1. LeBron James moves into 21st on NBA’s all-time scoring list (VIDEO)

Mar 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EST

Miami Heat practice Getty Images

James passed Ray Allen to achieve his latest milestone.

2. Josh Smith calls Hawks fans “bandwagoners”

Mar 4, 2015, 1:55 AM EST

Houston Rockets v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Hawks fans booed Smith every time he touched the ball.

3. Josh Smith rattles in 3-pointer, taunts booing Hawks fans (video)

Mar 3, 2015, 11:33 PM EST

Josh Smith, Paul Millsap, Jeff Teague Josh Smith, Paul Millsap, Jeff Teague

Smith can’t stop shooting 3s, though, and you know how that ends

4. Report: Celtics’ top free-agent target is Kevin Love, Greg Monroe No. 2

Mar 3, 2015, 8:08 PM EST

Kevin Love, Greg Monroe AP

Boston reportedly also plans to try for Marc Gasol, Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler

5. Report: Mavericks, Heat in long line of teams interested in JaVale McGee

Mar 3, 2015, 5:50 PM EST

JaVale McGee JaVale McGee

The list for him is much longer than just two teams. Much longer.

6. Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach

Mar 3, 2015, 5:08 PM EST

Kenneth Faried, Brian Shaw AP

What kind of team are they trying to build.

7. Kyrie Irving a gametime decision for Cavaliers vs. Celtics

Mar 3, 2015, 2:55 PM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Irving has missed two straight games with a shoulder strain.

8. Pacers’ David West on Nuggets firing Brian Shaw: ‘That’s bullsh-t. No grownups on the roster.’

Mar 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EST

Indiana Pacers v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Shaw was an assistant coach in Indiana before landing the head coaching spot in Denver.

9. Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw

Mar 3, 2015, 12:38 PM EST

Brian Shaw AP

Nuggets are 20-39 this season.

10. Matt Barnes says if he was the one who kicked LeBron, league would have tried to put him in jail

Mar 3, 2015, 12:30 PM EST

Los Angeles Clippers v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Barnes isn’t wrong that the punishment for him doing something like this would have been much more severe.

11. J.J. Redick ejected for complaining to officials, says Flip Saunders told him to ‘shut the f— up’

Mar 3, 2015, 11:50 AM EST

J.J. Redick, Scott Twardoski J.J. Redick, Scott Twardoski

Clippers have a reputation with the referees, which likely was why Redick was tossed for seemingly innocuous comments.

Is Derrick Rose the next Penny Hardaway?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches