As he will all season long, LeBron dodges free agency question

Sep 10, 2013, 12:05 PM EDT

BASKET-NBA-HEAT-JAMES Getty Images

Back in 2010, LeBron James spent the entire season trying to avoid the “will he leave Cleveland” question. He wouldn’t answer it directly. Of course, the Internet abhors a vacuum, so his lack of information was filled by the speculation of media and the hopes of fans until the thing swirled into a massive circus.

LeBron can opt out of his Miami Heat contract next summer and most likely will to get the security of a longer deal (five years with the Heat, four with another team).

He will be asked about his plans roughly 3,694,507 times this season, and he plans to dodge the question again. As he did with Chris Broussard of ESPN.com.

“I have absolutely no idea,” James recently told ESPN.com. “I would love to spend the rest of my career in Miami with this great team and great organization as we continue to compete for championships. That’s ideal. But we don’t know what may happen from now to the end of the season. That’s the nature of the business. It’s the nature of not knowing what tomorrow brings.

“I mean, as a kid, I never thought the Bulls would break up. Never. If you’d of told me as a kid that (Michael) Jordan and (Scottie) Pippen wouldn’t play together for the rest of their lives, I’d have looked at you crazy. And Phil Jackson wouldn’t be the coach? I’d have looked at you crazy. But sometimes the nature of the business doesn’t allow things to happen like you would want them to. But we’ll see.”

I’ve said before I expect LeBron will stay in Miami because he trusts Pat Riley to restructure the team to keep it in contention (recruiting guys to come play with LeBron in Miami isn’t the hardest sell). It’s the kind of trust he didn’t have with the management and ownership in Cleveland.

However, perspectives can change over the course of a year. LeBron may see Miami after this playoff run and think that the Cavaliers or Lakers or wherever may give him a better shot at titles. And with that he could bolt. It’s smart business to keep his options open.

For now, he’s going to dodge the question and focus on a three-peat with Miami, he said.

“I owe it to myself, I owe it my teammates and I owe it to the Miami Heat to stay focused,” he said. “As a leader, I’m not even going to let that side of the business get me unfocused on what I’m trying to do and that’s trying to win another championship.

“I’m going to try to (stop the discussion about free agency), but you always have reporters who are going to always bring it up. They’re going to change the question and make it sound like something else. But it will get to a point, if I continue to hear it, where I will say, ‘Hey guys, I’ve answered the question and out of respect, let’s talk about this after the season.”‘

Good luck with that.

Latest Posts
  1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar training Roy Hibbert

Jul 23, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT

Roy Hibbert Roy Hibbert

Pacers center needs confidence more than a skyhook

2. Five biggest surprises from Summer League

Jul 23, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT

D-League Select v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Russ Smith had a nice Summer League.

3. Report: Jameer Nelson to meet with Mavericks

Jul 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Cleveland Cavaliers Orlando Magic v Cleveland Cavaliers

Dallas, seeking third point guard, has already met with Mo Williams

4. Cavaliers sign second-round pick Joe Harris

Jul 23, 2014, 1:00 AM EDT

Coastal Carolina v Virginia Getty Images

As Cavaliers position themselves for Kevin Love trade, now was the time to sign No. 33 pick

5. Report: Grizzlies to hire Jeff Bzdelik as assistant coach

Jul 23, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT

ACC Basketball Tournament - First Round Getty Images

Bzdelik, who most recently coached Wake Forest, previously served as Nuggets head coach

6. Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo)

Jul 22, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT

Justin Bieber Justin Bieber

Bieber wearing a Nets hat, so you know what that means…

7. Cavaliers trade with Jazz, gain pieces for Kevin Love deal

Jul 22, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT

Kevin Love, Jeremy Evans Kevin Love, Jeremy Evans

Utah reportedly trades John Lucas III, Malcolm Thomas and Erik Murphy to Cleveland for Carrick Felix, second-round pick and $1 million

8. Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt

Jul 22, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT

Sterling will be removed as Clippers owner one way or another because he is toxic to the organization right now.

9. Bojan Bogdanovic officially becomes member of Brooklyn Nets. Finally.

Jul 22, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT

JSF Nanterre v Fenerbahce Ulker Istanbul - Turkish Airlines Euroleague Getty Images

He’s going to get some of Paul Pierce’s minutes.

10. Isaiah Austin says NBA has offered him a job once he finishes degree

Jul 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT

Adam Silver does the classy thing. Again.

11. Agent spins Evan Turner could have gotten $10 million a year if he’d stayed in Philly. Nope.

Jul 22, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Indiana Pacers Getty Images

Evan Turner is now a reclamation project — if he wants to get paid he has to become more efficient.

12. Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade

Jul 22, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT

Minnesota Timberwolves v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

It means the Timberwolves want to send Kevin Martin out in the Love deal, Cavs trying to make that happen.

13. Report: Cavaliers to sign Andrew Wiggins as early as Wednesday

Jul 22, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Once signed, he can’t be traded for 30 days … to the Timberwolves, for example.

14. Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love

Jul 22, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT

Kevin Love

Taj Gibson and Jimmy Butler would reportedly be sent to Minnesota.

15. Report: NBA warned stars against participating in clinics in the Philippines

Jul 22, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT

Adam Silver Adam Silver

Blake Griffin, James Harden, Kawhi Leonard and Damian Liillard among players who would face fines if they participated in a planned exhibition in Manila.

16. Wizards will have new alternate uniform for 2014-15 season (PHOTO)

Jul 22, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT

Martell Webster; John Wall

Wizards take a more subtle approach than some of the others we’ve seen.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches