As he will all season long, LeBron dodges free agency question

Sep 10, 2013, 12:05 PM EDT

BASKET-NBA-HEAT-JAMES Getty Images

Back in 2010, LeBron James spent the entire season trying to avoid the “will he leave Cleveland” question. He wouldn’t answer it directly. Of course, the Internet abhors a vacuum, so his lack of information was filled by the speculation of media and the hopes of fans until the thing swirled into a massive circus.

LeBron can opt out of his Miami Heat contract next summer and most likely will to get the security of a longer deal (five years with the Heat, four with another team).

He will be asked about his plans roughly 3,694,507 times this season, and he plans to dodge the question again. As he did with Chris Broussard of ESPN.com.

“I have absolutely no idea,” James recently told ESPN.com. “I would love to spend the rest of my career in Miami with this great team and great organization as we continue to compete for championships. That’s ideal. But we don’t know what may happen from now to the end of the season. That’s the nature of the business. It’s the nature of not knowing what tomorrow brings.

“I mean, as a kid, I never thought the Bulls would break up. Never. If you’d of told me as a kid that (Michael) Jordan and (Scottie) Pippen wouldn’t play together for the rest of their lives, I’d have looked at you crazy. And Phil Jackson wouldn’t be the coach? I’d have looked at you crazy. But sometimes the nature of the business doesn’t allow things to happen like you would want them to. But we’ll see.”

I’ve said before I expect LeBron will stay in Miami because he trusts Pat Riley to restructure the team to keep it in contention (recruiting guys to come play with LeBron in Miami isn’t the hardest sell). It’s the kind of trust he didn’t have with the management and ownership in Cleveland.

However, perspectives can change over the course of a year. LeBron may see Miami after this playoff run and think that the Cavaliers or Lakers or wherever may give him a better shot at titles. And with that he could bolt. It’s smart business to keep his options open.

For now, he’s going to dodge the question and focus on a three-peat with Miami, he said.

“I owe it to myself, I owe it my teammates and I owe it to the Miami Heat to stay focused,” he said. “As a leader, I’m not even going to let that side of the business get me unfocused on what I’m trying to do and that’s trying to win another championship.

“I’m going to try to (stop the discussion about free agency), but you always have reporters who are going to always bring it up. They’re going to change the question and make it sound like something else. But it will get to a point, if I continue to hear it, where I will say, ‘Hey guys, I’ve answered the question and out of respect, let’s talk about this after the season.”‘

Good luck with that.

Latest Posts
  1. Tuesday NBA grades: Chris Paul looks playoff ready

Apr 16, 2014, 2:42 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Chris Paul and J.J. Redick look good as Clippers ready for playoffs.

2. Chris Paul puts Evan Fournier in spin cycle (VIDEO)

Apr 16, 2014, 12:40 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Poor Evan Fournier is on the wrong end of a highlight that’s going to get shown a lot for a few days. At least.

3. Iman Shumpert drops Paul Pierce with the crossover (VIDEO)

Apr 15, 2014, 11:46 PM EDT

Miami Heat v New York Knicks Getty Images

Video of one player executing a crossover that drops another player to the floor — you know you’re watching.

4. D’Antoni didn’t know draft lottery implications for Lakers after win over Jazz

Apr 15, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT

Mike D'Antoni AP

Mike D’Antoni had no idea how beating the Jazz on Monday would negatively impact his team’s Draft Lottery chances. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

5. Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, Knicks shut him down for season

Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT

Carmelo Anthony AP

Anthony is out for the rest of the season but will not be surgery and will be good to go next season.

6. Celtics’ legend Cedric Maxwell stood in location of Boston Marathon bombing just minutes before

Apr 15, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT

Just 7-8 minutes before, Cedric Maxwell had stood next to one of the people killed in the Boston Marathon bombing, but he decided to go inside and get warm.

7. With top spot secure, Pacers to rest George, West, Stephenson, Watson Wednesday

Apr 15, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

With nothing on line Pacers going to rest key guys… except Hibbert.

8. Could Nets rest guys hoping to face Raptors instead of Bulls in first round? (They didn’t)

Apr 15, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT

Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Shaun Livingston, Deron Williams Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Shaun Livingston, Deron Williams

It’s not something you could ever prove (and the Nets may not even do it), but they could rest guys in hopes of falling into a first-round matchup with Toronto.

9. Damian Lillard not making friends in latest Foot Locker ad (VIDEO)

Apr 15, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Damian Lillard doesn’t want to end up like all those players without rings. The ones sitting in his living room.

10. 2014 PBT Awards: Executive of the Year

Apr 15, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT

Ryan McDonough Ryan McDonough

Two general managers make all three ballots, one tops each

11. Luol Deng wins J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award

Apr 15, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT

Paul George, Luol Deng Paul George, Luol Deng

Award honors ‘outstanding service and dedication to the community’

12. Fan runs into Chandler Parson’s car on way to game, asks for autograph

Apr 15, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Houston Rockets Getty Images

It was just a fender bender, the good news is nobody got hurt. However, Chandler Parsons was delayed getting to the Toyota Center for the Rockets game Monday when he got into an accident. And then the other driver found out who he was and… I will let Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle tell…

13. Jordan Farmar crosses up Trey Burke, drops him — in the backcourt (VIDEO)

Apr 15, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Utah Jazz v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

And Burke is one of the best rookies in this class….

14. Playoff Chase: We know all 16 teams going to dance, who dances with whom still up in air

Apr 15, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT

Jeff Teague, George Hill, David West Jeff Teague, George Hill, David West

We know for sure the Pacers play the Hawks in the first round, and we know the Rockets and Blazers will meet. After that all the matchups are still up in the air.

15. Amar’e Stoudemire has discussed playing in Israel

Apr 15, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT

Amar'e Stoudemire, Taj Gibson Amar'e Stoudemire, Taj Gibson

Knicks forward come become free agent this offseason

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures