As he will all season long, LeBron dodges free agency question

Sep 10, 2013, 12:05 PM EDT

BASKET-NBA-HEAT-JAMES Getty Images

Back in 2010, LeBron James spent the entire season trying to avoid the “will he leave Cleveland” question. He wouldn’t answer it directly. Of course, the Internet abhors a vacuum, so his lack of information was filled by the speculation of media and the hopes of fans until the thing swirled into a massive circus.

LeBron can opt out of his Miami Heat contract next summer and most likely will to get the security of a longer deal (five years with the Heat, four with another team).

He will be asked about his plans roughly 3,694,507 times this season, and he plans to dodge the question again. As he did with Chris Broussard of ESPN.com.

“I have absolutely no idea,” James recently told ESPN.com. “I would love to spend the rest of my career in Miami with this great team and great organization as we continue to compete for championships. That’s ideal. But we don’t know what may happen from now to the end of the season. That’s the nature of the business. It’s the nature of not knowing what tomorrow brings.

“I mean, as a kid, I never thought the Bulls would break up. Never. If you’d of told me as a kid that (Michael) Jordan and (Scottie) Pippen wouldn’t play together for the rest of their lives, I’d have looked at you crazy. And Phil Jackson wouldn’t be the coach? I’d have looked at you crazy. But sometimes the nature of the business doesn’t allow things to happen like you would want them to. But we’ll see.”

I’ve said before I expect LeBron will stay in Miami because he trusts Pat Riley to restructure the team to keep it in contention (recruiting guys to come play with LeBron in Miami isn’t the hardest sell). It’s the kind of trust he didn’t have with the management and ownership in Cleveland.

However, perspectives can change over the course of a year. LeBron may see Miami after this playoff run and think that the Cavaliers or Lakers or wherever may give him a better shot at titles. And with that he could bolt. It’s smart business to keep his options open.

For now, he’s going to dodge the question and focus on a three-peat with Miami, he said.

“I owe it to myself, I owe it my teammates and I owe it to the Miami Heat to stay focused,” he said. “As a leader, I’m not even going to let that side of the business get me unfocused on what I’m trying to do and that’s trying to win another championship.

“I’m going to try to (stop the discussion about free agency), but you always have reporters who are going to always bring it up. They’re going to change the question and make it sound like something else. But it will get to a point, if I continue to hear it, where I will say, ‘Hey guys, I’ve answered the question and out of respect, let’s talk about this after the season.”‘

Good luck with that.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Hedo Turkoglu wants to play anther NBA season, Kings possiblity

Jul 31, 2015, 4:59 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

The Kings don’t really have the roster spot for him.

2. Grizzlies’ D-League affiliate hires female assistant coach

Jul 31, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT

NBA.com NBA.com

Iowa Energy add Nicki Gross to coaching staff

3. Report: Joe Johnson “pumped” that Deron Williams bought out by Nets

Jul 31, 2015, 12:52 PM EDT

joe johnson nets sleeved alternates

Johnson makes $24.9 million, but this is the last year of his contract.

4. Report: Knicks to sign Thanasis Antetokounmpo

Jul 31, 2015, 12:47 PM EDT

20141220 Westchester Knicks at Maine Red Claws Getty Images

New York drafted Giannis Antetokounmpo’s brother last year

5. Report: 76ers second-rounder J.P. Tokoto won’t sign with Philadelphia

Jul 31, 2015, 10:23 AM EDT

Houston Rockets v Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

No. 58 pick will reportedly head overseas or to D-League

6. Knicks waive Ricky Ledo

Jul 31, 2015, 9:21 AM EDT

Ricky Ledo AP

Guard didn’t show much in short stint in New York

7. NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure

Jul 31, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptu5nzjmmwjlotdhnzrhn2iwytixngrhnwi2yzqwyjzk AP

“One thing to come out of this will be more camps, more clinics, more games, more youth competition, and from that you get into infrastructure, and building more courts.” —Masai Ujiri, Raptors GM and native Nigerian

8. Mark Cuban says trading for Rajon Rondo was tough call, “came down to a coin flip”

Jul 31, 2015, 7:59 AM EDT

Houston Rockets v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

“And the coin flip was as much about, is there going to be anything else that we could do? Because we knew we had to do something.” —Mark Cuban on trading for Rajon Rondo.

9. Pau Gasol on Fred Hoiberg: “I think we’ll play with a better flow offensively”

Jul 30, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

Pau Gasol Pau Gasol

Hoiberg has a much stronger offensive reputation than Tom Thibodeau.

10. Blazers waive Brendan Haywood after acquiring him from Cavs

Jul 30, 2015, 10:43 PM EDT

Brendan Haywood, Michael Beasley Brendan Haywood, Michael Beasley

Portland received Mike Miller and two second-round picks in addition to Haywood.

11. Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach

Jul 30, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Austin Toros v Texas Legends Austin Toros v Texas Legends

Lieberman would be the second female assistant coach, after Becky Hammon

12. Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession

Jul 30, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT

Mike Scott Mike Scott

Scott was charged with possession of marijuana and MDMA.

13. Josh Smith clarifies “harder on me” comments in Players Tribune essay

Jul 30, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Free Agent Signings Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Free Agent Signings

Smith says he was talking more about family stability than money in his controversial comments.

14. Thunder sign domestic draft-and-stash pick Josh Huestis

Jul 30, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT

Josh Huestis Josh Huestis

Huestis spent last season in the D-League.

15. Tony Parker says for Spurs this is “last crack at it to try to win it all”

Jul 30, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT

Tony Parker, Tim Duncan Tony Parker, Tim Duncan

In what will be the last year for Duncan and Manu Ginobili, not to mention David West’s long career, there will be plenty of desperation and energy in San Antonio.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. K. Bryant (2735)
  2. B. Haywood (2284)
  3. I. Thomas (2151)
  4. L. James (1887)
  5. A. Randolph (1867)
  1. M. Miller (1850)
  2. G. Robinson III (1748)
  3. N. Young (1720)