Sep 9, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
This has been rumored for about a month but on Monday the Nets made it official.
“This is a very humbling honor and one that I will always cherish,” Kidd said in a released statement. “There can be no greater recognition of an athlete’s time with any team than to have his number retired, and this gesture by the Nets organization validates a very significant portion of my career that was spent as a player with this franchise.”
Kidd was as good a point guard as there was in the league at his peak, which included more than six seasons in New Jersey with the Nets where he averaged 14.6 points, 9.1 assists and 7.2 rebounds per game. Kidd retired this summer after what is a lock first ballot Hall of Fame career.
When he did, he jumped at the offer of Mikhail Prokhorov to come coach the team this season (that’s just one of interesting storylines swirling around the Nets this season).
“My warmest congratulations to Jason as we commemorate his outstanding career as an NBA player and his unparalleled contribution to the Nets franchise,” said Nets Principal Owner Mikhail Prokhorov in his statement. “As one chapter closes, another will soon be written and I know that we are all looking forward to Jason’s continued successes.”
Kidd’s No. 5 will join the numbers of Drazen Petrovic (No. 3), John Williamson (No. 23), Bill Melchionni (No. 25), Julius Erving (No. 32) and Buck Williams (No. 52) in the rafters at Barclays.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 10
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 17
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3