Sep 8, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Rick Pitino is being inducted into the Naismith Memorial basketball Hall of Fame this weekend, and in terms of his relatively minimal NBA contributions, the video clip above might be the moment he’s most famous for.
In a rant following a tough loss while coach of the Celtics, Pitino told reporters, “Larry Bird’s not walking through that door, fans. Kevin McHale is not walking through that door, and Robert Parish is not walking through that door. And if you expect them to walk through the door, they’re going to be grey and old. What we are is young, exciting, hard-working, and going to improve. People don’t realize that.”
Fast forward to Sunday, where Bird is there to present Oscar Schmidt, and Pitino, upon seeing Bird enter the room, referenced his memorable press conference.
“You finally walked through that door!” Rick Pitino to Larry Bird just now at HOF.
— Jim Ice (@Jim_ICE) September 8, 2013
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 17
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 25
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14