Sep 8, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
Rick Pitino is being inducted into the Naismith Memorial basketball Hall of Fame this weekend, and in terms of his relatively minimal NBA contributions, the video clip above might be the moment he’s most famous for.
In a rant following a tough loss while coach of the Celtics, Pitino told reporters, “Larry Bird’s not walking through that door, fans. Kevin McHale is not walking through that door, and Robert Parish is not walking through that door. And if you expect them to walk through the door, they’re going to be grey and old. What we are is young, exciting, hard-working, and going to improve. People don’t realize that.”
Fast forward to Sunday, where Bird is there to present Oscar Schmidt, and Pitino, upon seeing Bird enter the room, referenced his memorable press conference.
“You finally walked through that door!” Rick Pitino to Larry Bird just now at HOF.
— Jim Ice (@Jim_ICE) September 8, 2013
- NBA denies Kings’ protest 2
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 8
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 8
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13