Sep 8, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Rick Pitino is being inducted into the Naismith Memorial basketball Hall of Fame this weekend, and in terms of his relatively minimal NBA contributions, the video clip above might be the moment he’s most famous for.
In a rant following a tough loss while coach of the Celtics, Pitino told reporters, “Larry Bird’s not walking through that door, fans. Kevin McHale is not walking through that door, and Robert Parish is not walking through that door. And if you expect them to walk through the door, they’re going to be grey and old. What we are is young, exciting, hard-working, and going to improve. People don’t realize that.”
Fast forward to Sunday, where Bird is there to present Oscar Schmidt, and Pitino, upon seeing Bird enter the room, referenced his memorable press conference.
“You finally walked through that door!” Rick Pitino to Larry Bird just now at HOF.
— Jim Ice (@Jim_ICE) September 8, 2013
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 6
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 18
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 70
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 66
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14