Sep 7, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
DeAndre Liggins was waived by the Thunder on Friday, in the wake of domestic violence charges levied against the second-year NBA player who had a non-guaranteed contract to play with OKC this upcoming season.
Like all cases involving athletes or anyone in the public eye, the charges are going to get reported before anyone has been convicted of anything. But in the case of Liggins, the alleged details that have emerged are fairly ugly.
Liggins, 24, is charged with three counts of domestic abuse, two counts of domestic assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, one count of kidnapping and one count of violating a protective order. …
According to a probable cause affidavit filed in the case, an argument between Liggins and his girlfriend, Jasmine Horton, at the basketball player’s Oklahoma City home on Aug. 31 led to Liggins grabbing Horton by the hair, pulling her out of bed, throwing her to the ground and punching her 11 or 12 times. Most of the blows struck the back of her head, the affidavit states.
Liggins left the bedroom and Horton locked the bedroom door, but Liggins kicked the door open, grabbed her by the hair and threw her to the ground, where he again punched her, then stomped and kicked her on the head and back, the affidavit states.
Both incidents were witnessed by the couple’s 2-year-old son, according to the affidavit.
Liggins is then accused of throwing an Xbox and box fan, striking Horton in the head with both items. Liggins and Rogers would not let Horton leave and blocked the doorway, but she managed to escape the house twice. Both times, Rogers grabbed her and dragged her back inside the house, according to the affidavit.
There’s more, and believe it or not, it gets worse.
Any NBA player on a non-guaranteed contract would see the same result from the team holding his rights, even before a trial or conviction. The sad truth is that teams will put up with a lot of off-court nonsense from elite-level talent, but if you’re a fringe player without a guaranteed deal in place, you’ve got to handle your personal business a lot more smartly than this.
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 1
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 9
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 30