Sep 7, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Jordan Farmar was a member of two championship teams in four seasons during his first tour of duty with the Lakers, albeit in a reserve role. He clashed with Phil Jackson at times, and felt constrained by what he was expected to do within the Triangle offense.
Farmar always felt like he was capable of contributing so much more, and he should get that opportunity under Mike D’Antoni this time around.
In fact, the chance to play for the Lakers’ current head coach was one of the reasons Farmar chose to make his NBA return at this time.
Playing for D’Antoni, Farmar said, was a motivating factor to give up the money he would have gotten in Turkey.
“I had to just go on and give myself an opportunity, because I think I have a great opportunity for me to contribute a lot and just be kind of what they’re looking for,” he said.
“At the time when I left, I was a free agent. We had won back-to-back championships and I was 23 years old, so I really wanted a chance to grow and live outside of L.A. and do a few different things in my career. But this time around I felt this is an amazing fit, first and foremost, coming back home and playing for Coach D’Antoni right now and bringing whatever I can bring to the table and help the team. It’s just being more prepared to handle what’s going to be asked of me.”
Farmar made a financial sacrifice to return to the Lakers, and coming back to the iconic franchise to play in his hometown again was obviously appealing for a variety of reasons.
But D’Antoni’s presence on the sidelines, it appears, was no small factor in that decision.
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 0
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 18
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 9
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6