Sep 6, 2013, 5:59 PM EDT
We told you this was coming a couple weeks back (and it has been a rumored possibility since May), but on Friday it became official.
The Timberwolves have hired executive Milt Newton away from the Washington Wizards to become Minnesota’s new GM. The team made the announcement.
“I have followed Milt closely during his career and have always been impressed with his basketball knowledge, work ethic and professionalism,” Timberwolves president Flip Saunders said in a released statement. “His front office experience in the NBA, as well as his ability to combine analytics evaluation with his basketball playing and scouting background will greatly benefit our organization.”
Make no mistake, Saunders remains the ultimate decision maker with this team, but Newton now will oversee a lot of the scouting, talent evaluation and more. It will be a collaboration.
Saunders and Newton go back a while — Newton was a front office guy in Washington when Saunders coached the Wizards. Previously Newton had been a D-League executive, a director with USA Basketball and scout for the Philadelphia 76ers. As a player, Newton was a member of the Danny Manning/Larry Brown Kansas team that won a national championship in 1988 (he was 6-of-6 in the title game).
This is all part of the culture change Saunders is trying to bring in to Minnesota, a radical departure from the David Kahn era.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5