Sep 6, 2013, 5:59 PM EDT
We told you this was coming a couple weeks back (and it has been a rumored possibility since May), but on Friday it became official.
The Timberwolves have hired executive Milt Newton away from the Washington Wizards to become Minnesota’s new GM. The team made the announcement.
“I have followed Milt closely during his career and have always been impressed with his basketball knowledge, work ethic and professionalism,” Timberwolves president Flip Saunders said in a released statement. “His front office experience in the NBA, as well as his ability to combine analytics evaluation with his basketball playing and scouting background will greatly benefit our organization.”
Make no mistake, Saunders remains the ultimate decision maker with this team, but Newton now will oversee a lot of the scouting, talent evaluation and more. It will be a collaboration.
Saunders and Newton go back a while — Newton was a front office guy in Washington when Saunders coached the Wizards. Previously Newton had been a D-League executive, a director with USA Basketball and scout for the Philadelphia 76ers. As a player, Newton was a member of the Danny Manning/Larry Brown Kansas team that won a national championship in 1988 (he was 6-of-6 in the title game).
This is all part of the culture change Saunders is trying to bring in to Minnesota, a radical departure from the David Kahn era.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 6
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 18
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 70
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 66
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14