Sep 6, 2013, 8:15 PM EDT
With a serious domestic violence charge hanging over his head and an unguaranteed contract, this should not be a big surprise.
The Oklahoma City Thunder have waived swingman DeAndre Liggins. The Thunder did not release a statement when announcing the decision.
Liggins was arrested last week on a domestic violence charge and at the time all the Thunder would say officially is that they were gathering more information on the case. The Oklahoman newspaper also gathered info to and found the court affidavit where Liggins’ girlfriend said the Thunder player “hit her in the head with his hand and then punched her in the head when she fell on the ground” and all of that in front of their 2-year-old son. After that the woman locker herself in her bedroom but “Liggins reportedly kicked in the door, pushed her down, dropped a fan on her, stomped her with his foot and dropped an Xbox on her head.”
Liggins was signed for this season but his contract was not guaranteed.
Liggins was the 53rd pick of the 2011 NBA Draft, never cracked the Thunder rotation. The former Kentucky player appeared in just 56 games (7 minutes per game) while averaging 1.6 points and 1.2 rebounds in those two years. Liggins started 19 games for the Thunder’s D-League squad last year as well, averaging 11.6 points, 6.9 rebounds and 4.3 assists while shooting a blistering 46 percent from beyond the arc.
Once he clears waivers, Liggins will be an unrestricted free agent.
- Report: LeBron ‘will look at’ Knicks in free agency now that Phil Jackson is in place 49
- Nets announce signing of Jason Collins for remainder of the season 11
- Phil Jackson to Knicks could work. It probably won’t, but it could. 30
- Pau Gasol says Kobe was right to rip Lakers front office 41
- It’s confirmed: Phil Jackson returns to Knicks to head up front office, revive franchise 33