Sep 6, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
With a serious domestic violence charge hanging over his head and an unguaranteed contract, this should not be a big surprise.
The Oklahoma City Thunder have waived swingman DeAndre Liggins. The Thunder did not release a statement when announcing the decision.
Liggins was arrested last week on a domestic violence charge and at the time all the Thunder would say officially is that they were gathering more information on the case. The Oklahoman newspaper also gathered info to and found the court affidavit where Liggins’ girlfriend said the Thunder player “hit her in the head with his hand and then punched her in the head when she fell on the ground” and all of that in front of their 2-year-old son. After that the woman locker herself in her bedroom but “Liggins reportedly kicked in the door, pushed her down, dropped a fan on her, stomped her with his foot and dropped an Xbox on her head.”
Liggins was signed for this season but his contract was not guaranteed.
Liggins was the 53rd pick of the 2011 NBA Draft, never cracked the Thunder rotation. The former Kentucky player appeared in just 56 games (7 minutes per game) while averaging 1.6 points and 1.2 rebounds in those two years. Liggins started 19 games for the Thunder’s D-League squad last year as well, averaging 11.6 points, 6.9 rebounds and 4.3 assists while shooting a blistering 46 percent from beyond the arc.
Once he clears waivers, Liggins will be an unrestricted free agent.
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 4
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 5
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 21
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 9
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)