Sep 6, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Hinrich completed the first part of that role last season, starting all 60 of his games at point guard as Rose missed the entire year.
Now that Rose is slated to be back, Hinrich must compete with Jimmy Butler for minutes after Butler’s emergence last season.
Not that Hinrich sounds bothered with his situation. Aggrey Sam of CSN Chicago:
“It’s almost here,” he said by way of greeting. “You ready for it?”
Kirk Hinrich never sounded quite that upbeat last season and with the various ailments he endured, it was understandable. In his second tour of duty with the Bulls, the veteran guard missed 22 regular-season games and the entire second round of the playoffs as he suffered of litany of injuries, from hurting his groin in the preseason to the ruptured calf muscle that caused him to miss the Miami series.
But with the entire summer to recover from aches and pains that included injuries of the freakish variety, Hinrich, set to enter his 11th professional campaign, is amped up about the upcoming season.
“I feel really good. I think I’ve used the offseason to manage the time fairly well. I have a lot of energy, my body’s feeling good. I’ve been feeling good on the court, so at this point, you’re always looking forward to next year,” he told CSNChicago.com in a phone interview. “You start getting real anxious when you get to two, three weeks left to go before training camp.”
The Bulls have one of the strongest identities in the NBA. For better or worse, they play extremely hard throughout the regular season, even if that means they’re worn down in the playoffs. That’s why Hinrich wasn’t on the court as they lost to the Heat last season.
Hinrich is headed for a reduced role next season, but as long as he keeps such a positive attitude and plays to back it up, he’ll find minutes on a Tom Thibodeau team.
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 8
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 5
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 25
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 13
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)