Sep 6, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
The Milwaukee Bucks do not want you to think they are in the tank. Transitioning, yes. Rebuilding even. But they are not going “woeful for Wiggins” either. They have O.J. Mayo, Larry Sanders, Brandon Knight, Ersan Ilysova, Gary Neal — some guys that can play. They are not the Heat or Spurs, but they have some guys who belong in the league.
Such as Caron Butler. Who they plan to lean on.
With Carlos Delfino out to start the season Butler is going to carry a heavy load, at least that’s the plan as GM John Hammond spoke to the Star Tribune.
“We talked about trying to build a championship-caliber team and we’re really excited about some of the young pieces we have on our roster,” Bucks general manager John Hammond said. “And, we’re not going to stray from that. But, also at that time, we talked about needing veteran players that can help us in that process. A veteran player that can mentor, a veteran player that can help young guys find their footing in the league. We know Caron can do that.
“But, make no mistake, he’s here for a lot more than just that. We need him on the floor. We project him to be our starting small forward, project him to play a lot of minutes for our team, project him to help us win games.”
They will win some games. How many, we shall see, but I can see a team in the hunt for a playoff spot.
For one season (which is as long as his contract goes), Butler is exactly the kind of guy you want around your young players — professional, smart, understands the game and how the business works. He will be a role model for the young Bucks players. But he can also still play some (he started for the Clippers last season).
The hometown boy is a good fit.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38