Sep 5, 2013, 7:24 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than you love the start of the NFL season…
• We noted in yesterday’s And-1 Links that the Sixers Royce White was being investigated in a domestic violence case (there have been no charges). Speaking with the Houston Chronicle’s Rockets blog, White’s attorney sent this statement.
“Royce has seen today’s media reports that law enforcement in Texas is investigating claims of domestic violence by a terminated and disgruntled former employee of his charitable organization. Royce vehemently denies the allegations and is looking forward to a speedy and just resolution of these unfortunate and unfair claims. It is all too easy to make allegations, especially when directed at a person who is in the public eye. Royce hopes that the media will be equally attentive when these allegations ultimately are rejected.”
• A quick look ahead at guys who potentially could be free agents next summer. Of the 10 guys on that list, I bet at least six stay with their current teams. That is particularly true of Kobe Bryant, Dirk Nowitzki and Tim Duncan.
• What guys are best at getting to the rim and finishing there? Yes, LeBron James is on that list but so is Isaiah Thomas.
• This is a fantastic oral history of the And-1 Tour.
• As we told you was going to happen, the NBA made official it’s deal with STATS to put the motion-sensing SportsVU cameras in every arena in the league. This is going to be a volume of new information available to teams, the questions are who will use it best. But there was one bit of good news for us fans in the announcement — the NBA Game Time app, NBA.com and NBA TV will use SportVU player tracking data. We will not get all the data, but even some of it would be another piece of information fans can use.
• Gilbert Arenas has been formally charged in a case where he was pulled over carrying 100 pounds of illegal fireworks.
• The 76ers are well below the league’s established salary floor. Here’s why that just doesn’t matter.
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 6
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 29
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 10
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5