Sep 5, 2013, 2:52 AM EDT
Let’s hope this is true.
“He realized he needs help,” a source says of the NBA free agent and husband of reality star Khloé Kardashian Odom.
There have been a lot of rumors about Odom over the past several weeks and separating fact from tabloid fiction was difficult. Yet this much was clear — Odom was in trouble and on a bad downward spiral that involved substance abulse. There was his agent admitting drug issues, there was the DUI, there was all of it. I can also tell you there were a lot of his friends around basketball trying to reach out, trying to help a player that was pretty universally liked around the league.
Odom has had a lot of hurdles in his life — a heroine addicted father, his mother died of cancer when he was 12, he bounced around high schools and colleges, he had a marijuana suspension early in his NBA career, there was his child dying of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, there was the car he was a passenger in hitting and killing a teenager on a bike a couple years ago — but through it all he has persevered. He has been good natured and funny, even if that was masking his personal battles.
Hopefully with help he can persevere again. His NBA career — which has hit tough times too after a couple difficult seasons — is secondary.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 5
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 10
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 30
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 8