Sep 5, 2013, 2:52 AM EDT
Let’s hope this is true.
“He realized he needs help,” a source says of the NBA free agent and husband of reality star Khloé Kardashian Odom.
There have been a lot of rumors about Odom over the past several weeks and separating fact from tabloid fiction was difficult. Yet this much was clear — Odom was in trouble and on a bad downward spiral that involved substance abulse. There was his agent admitting drug issues, there was the DUI, there was all of it. I can also tell you there were a lot of his friends around basketball trying to reach out, trying to help a player that was pretty universally liked around the league.
Odom has had a lot of hurdles in his life — a heroine addicted father, his mother died of cancer when he was 12, he bounced around high schools and colleges, he had a marijuana suspension early in his NBA career, there was his child dying of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, there was the car he was a passenger in hitting and killing a teenager on a bike a couple years ago — but through it all he has persevered. He has been good natured and funny, even if that was masking his personal battles.
Hopefully with help he can persevere again. His NBA career — which has hit tough times too after a couple difficult seasons — is secondary.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 13
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 36
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 26
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2