Sep 5, 2013, 2:52 AM EDT
Let’s hope this is true.
“He realized he needs help,” a source says of the NBA free agent and husband of reality star Khloé Kardashian Odom.
There have been a lot of rumors about Odom over the past several weeks and separating fact from tabloid fiction was difficult. Yet this much was clear — Odom was in trouble and on a bad downward spiral that involved substance abulse. There was his agent admitting drug issues, there was the DUI, there was all of it. I can also tell you there were a lot of his friends around basketball trying to reach out, trying to help a player that was pretty universally liked around the league.
Odom has had a lot of hurdles in his life — a heroine addicted father, his mother died of cancer when he was 12, he bounced around high schools and colleges, he had a marijuana suspension early in his NBA career, there was his child dying of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, there was the car he was a passenger in hitting and killing a teenager on a bike a couple years ago — but through it all he has persevered. He has been good natured and funny, even if that was masking his personal battles.
Hopefully with help he can persevere again. His NBA career — which has hit tough times too after a couple difficult seasons — is secondary.
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 0
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 8
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 11
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 49
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 60
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 89
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20