Sep 5, 2013, 2:52 AM EST
Let’s hope this is true.
“He realized he needs help,” a source says of the NBA free agent and husband of reality star Khloé Kardashian Odom.
There have been a lot of rumors about Odom over the past several weeks and separating fact from tabloid fiction was difficult. Yet this much was clear — Odom was in trouble and on a bad downward spiral that involved substance abulse. There was his agent admitting drug issues, there was the DUI, there was all of it. I can also tell you there were a lot of his friends around basketball trying to reach out, trying to help a player that was pretty universally liked around the league.
Odom has had a lot of hurdles in his life — a heroine addicted father, his mother died of cancer when he was 12, he bounced around high schools and colleges, he had a marijuana suspension early in his NBA career, there was his child dying of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, there was the car he was a passenger in hitting and killing a teenager on a bike a couple years ago — but through it all he has persevered. He has been good natured and funny, even if that was masking his personal battles.
Hopefully with help he can persevere again. His NBA career — which has hit tough times too after a couple difficult seasons — is secondary.
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 9
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 23
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 53
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (53)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)