Sep 5, 2013, 2:52 AM EST
Let’s hope this is true.
“He realized he needs help,” a source says of the NBA free agent and husband of reality star Khloé Kardashian Odom.
There have been a lot of rumors about Odom over the past several weeks and separating fact from tabloid fiction was difficult. Yet this much was clear — Odom was in trouble and on a bad downward spiral that involved substance abulse. There was his agent admitting drug issues, there was the DUI, there was all of it. I can also tell you there were a lot of his friends around basketball trying to reach out, trying to help a player that was pretty universally liked around the league.
Odom has had a lot of hurdles in his life — a heroine addicted father, his mother died of cancer when he was 12, he bounced around high schools and colleges, he had a marijuana suspension early in his NBA career, there was his child dying of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, there was the car he was a passenger in hitting and killing a teenager on a bike a couple years ago — but through it all he has persevered. He has been good natured and funny, even if that was masking his personal battles.
Hopefully with help he can persevere again. His NBA career — which has hit tough times too after a couple difficult seasons — is secondary.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 2
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11