Sep 5, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
Some younger Kobe Bryant fans find this hard to believe, but there was a time when Kobe and Tracy McGrady were considered equals. Guys of the same talent level. But their careers diverged: Kobe was winning rings with Shaquille O’Neal, Pau Gasol and talented role players, while Tracy McGrady was stuck on some pretty weak teams and then his body started to break down.
What if the roles had been reversed?
McGrady was on the Jay Mohr show on Fox Sports Radio and talked about if he had been paired with Shaq, as transcribed by Steve DelVecchio at Larry Brown Sports.
“We would have had a great run,” he said when asked about Shaq. “I don’t know how many but, I know it would have never ended like it did with he and Kobe. I have a great relationship with Shaq. We would have never clashed heads like that. Two Alpha dogs going at there will always be (something going on).”
This is a pure hypothetical, a barstool discussion; we have no real idea how that relationship would have worked out inside the pressure cooker of the Lakers in that era. Having a great relationship with Shaq off the court and trying to win with him on it are different dynamics.
It’s unfortunate we will never know how far McGrady could have taken a good team, because he never really got that chance.
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 3
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 13
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 8
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19