Sep 5, 2013, 3:12 PM EST
Some younger Kobe Bryant fans find this hard to believe, but there was a time when Kobe and Tracy McGrady were considered equals. Guys of the same talent level. But their careers diverged: Kobe was winning rings with Shaquille O’Neal, Pau Gasol and talented role players, while Tracy McGrady was stuck on some pretty weak teams and then his body started to break down.
What if the roles had been reversed?
McGrady was on the Jay Mohr show on Fox Sports Radio and talked about if he had been paired with Shaq, as transcribed by Steve DelVecchio at Larry Brown Sports.
“We would have had a great run,” he said when asked about Shaq. “I don’t know how many but, I know it would have never ended like it did with he and Kobe. I have a great relationship with Shaq. We would have never clashed heads like that. Two Alpha dogs going at there will always be (something going on).”
This is a pure hypothetical, a barstool discussion; we have no real idea how that relationship would have worked out inside the pressure cooker of the Lakers in that era. Having a great relationship with Shaq off the court and trying to win with him on it are different dynamics.
It’s unfortunate we will never know how far McGrady could have taken a good team, because he never really got that chance.
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 20
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 2
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8