Sep 5, 2013, 4:43 PM EDT
I love HBO’s “Hard Knocks” — the show that tracks an NFL team through training camp, this season the Cincinnati Bengals. There is great drama because there are few guaranteed contracts in the NFL and there are 75 guys fighting for 53 spots.
It would almost never work in the NBA because there just isn’t much camp drama — NBA contracts are guaranteed and you go into training camp pretty much knowing at least 14 of the 15 roster spots.
But the Lakers could be an exception this year — they are bringing in a few forwards for a little training camp competition to see who fits in Mike D’Antoni’s system best.
Thursday the Lakers announced a deal with Xavier Henry to what is a camp invite deal with a chance to make the team. Henry is a three year NBA player, a 6’6” swingman who was with the Hornets last season. He’s athletic but in the NBA he has struggled to create his own shot and tends to take long two pointers rather than threes (he averaged just 0.2 threes per game last season). His defense is uninspiring. There’s potential there but it has never really shown itself before, however he might be a good fit in the up-tempo D’Antoni system.
The Lakers just signed Shawne Williams and they have Elias Harris, Ryan Kelly and Marcus Landry all will kind of compete for forward spots in camp. For an NBA roster, this is a pretty wide open completion, which will make their camp a little more interesting.
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 0
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 43