Sep 5, 2013, 4:43 PM EDT
I love HBO’s “Hard Knocks” — the show that tracks an NFL team through training camp, this season the Cincinnati Bengals. There is great drama because there are few guaranteed contracts in the NFL and there are 75 guys fighting for 53 spots.
It would almost never work in the NBA because there just isn’t much camp drama — NBA contracts are guaranteed and you go into training camp pretty much knowing at least 14 of the 15 roster spots.
But the Lakers could be an exception this year — they are bringing in a few forwards for a little training camp competition to see who fits in Mike D’Antoni’s system best.
Thursday the Lakers announced a deal with Xavier Henry to what is a camp invite deal with a chance to make the team. Henry is a three year NBA player, a 6’6” swingman who was with the Hornets last season. He’s athletic but in the NBA he has struggled to create his own shot and tends to take long two pointers rather than threes (he averaged just 0.2 threes per game last season). His defense is uninspiring. There’s potential there but it has never really shown itself before, however he might be a good fit in the up-tempo D’Antoni system.
The Lakers just signed Shawne Williams and they have Elias Harris, Ryan Kelly and Marcus Landry all will kind of compete for forward spots in camp. For an NBA roster, this is a pretty wide open completion, which will make their camp a little more interesting.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 3
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 3
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 10
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15