Garnett confirms he only accepted trade because Pierce was moved too

Sep 5, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT

Newly acquired Brooklyn Net's NBA player Kevin Garnett listens during a news conference introducing him in Brooklyn Reuters

We pretty much knew this already — Kevin Garnett has said that he wanted to retire a Celtic, and they were about to go through a rebuilding process he didn’t want to be a part of, but Paul Pierce convinced him that going to Brooklyn to make one more run at it was a good thing. So he agreed to the trade (and agreed to take his $12.4 million salary for next season).

Halfway around the globe, Garnett confirmed it.

He is in China pitching his Anta shoe brand and doing the branding thing, when he did an interview. Here is a translation of the interview question of note, via Celtics Life (note KG answered this in English, it was translated to Chinese, then back to English, but I think the message is clear):

Moderator: Can you say if the transaction object is only you, no Pierce, you would choose to reject it?

Garnett: I would refuse, if I was traded away, I would choose to retire, without a doubt, I would choose a direct retired.

If he hadn’t been going to Brooklyn with Pierce, he would have retired. Well, unless the teams found a way to do that Clippers deal, but that is dead, too.

Brooklyn is interesting because of the short window with older players — they potentially could be very good but a lot of things need to go right. Garnett and Pierce need to be fully healthy, for one. Jason Kidd needs to show he can coach, for another. This is a team with a very small window and timeframe (one season, maybe two at most).

But that’s a better chance than the Celtics had this season. So he’ll take it (and the $12.4 million he makes this season, don’t leave that out of the equation).

1. rodge1 - Sep 5, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Don’t need an explanation KG, no one believes or likes you.

• jayluv7979 - Sep 5, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I like you KG’ good thing you left, c’s will not make the playoffs!!! But BKN will ha…

2. adamsjohn714 - Sep 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM

So he apparently had no loyalty to the celtics, and only cares about winning. He learned his lesson in Minny.

• bougin89 - Sep 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM

How does this translate to him having no loyalty to the Celtics? The Celtics wanted to get rid of Pierce and Garnett to start their rebuild. Garnett found a place to “make one more run” instead of retiring. He’s obviously built a tight friendship with Pierce. Does this also make Pierce have no loyalty to the Celtics because the Celtics traded him?

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I’m more poking fun at the fans’ notion that Garnett will always be a Celtic, bleeds green, etc. It’s pretty obvious most player’s true allegiance is to money/winning, and I suspect winning is only part of that because it leads to more money. Of course, this isn’t true of some of the highest paid players who make plenty of money on the side, but for 99% of the league, I believe it is.

Personally, I like Garnett, and think he was the best player in the league for several years in Minny. He wasted his time there being “loyal,” and I remember him saying something along the lines of loyalty being overrated (I can’t find the exact quote in 3 minutes of searching). Fans just are so silly sometimes.

• bougin89 - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Agreed with money being the majority of true motivation for 99% of the league. I think with Garnett and the Celtics, Garnett truly wanted to retire with the Celtics. Circumstances definitely changed though and the rebuild was kicked into action(which I think was probably smart on the Celtics part). Garnett still has the desire to compete and when presented with the Nets trade offer he accepted.

3. papichulo55 - Sep 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Nobody likes him? I like him and so will the Hall of Fame voters when he becomes eligible.

4. jayluv7979 - Sep 5, 2013 at 7:05 PM

KG #1

5. 00maltliquor - Sep 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I’m glad this article came out to clear up some of the confusion I had about this matter. I can now rest assured knowing that KG wouldn’t have gone without Paul Pierce. Who would have figured?

6. lucidsportsfan - Sep 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Thanks for crediting my post on CelticsLife!

7. antistratfordian - Sep 6, 2013 at 3:16 AM

“If it’s up to me, I’m going to live green and die green.”

8. mustardtits - Sep 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I like Pierce & KG. I keep unretiring them in 2K13 lol

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches