Sep 5, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
We pretty much knew this already — Kevin Garnett has said that he wanted to retire a Celtic, and they were about to go through a rebuilding process he didn’t want to be a part of, but Paul Pierce convinced him that going to Brooklyn to make one more run at it was a good thing. So he agreed to the trade (and agreed to take his $12.4 million salary for next season).
Halfway around the globe, Garnett confirmed it.
He is in China pitching his Anta shoe brand and doing the branding thing, when he did an interview. Here is a translation of the interview question of note, via Celtics Life (note KG answered this in English, it was translated to Chinese, then back to English, but I think the message is clear):
Moderator: Can you say if the transaction object is only you, no Pierce, you would choose to reject it?
Garnett: I would refuse, if I was traded away, I would choose to retire, without a doubt, I would choose a direct retired.
If he hadn’t been going to Brooklyn with Pierce, he would have retired. Well, unless the teams found a way to do that Clippers deal, but that is dead, too.
Brooklyn is interesting because of the short window with older players — they potentially could be very good but a lot of things need to go right. Garnett and Pierce need to be fully healthy, for one. Jason Kidd needs to show he can coach, for another. This is a team with a very small window and timeframe (one season, maybe two at most).
But that’s a better chance than the Celtics had this season. So he’ll take it (and the $12.4 million he makes this season, don’t leave that out of the equation).
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Can Memphis keep Damian Lillard in check? 0
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 4
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40