Andrew Bynum says he is on schedule for return… but doesn’t know schedule

Sep 5, 2013, 11:31 AM EDT

Andrew Bynum AP

There is no date set yet — Cleveland learned the lesson of putting a timeline on things watching the Philadelphia 76ers. It could be the start of training camp, it could be later. Based on history, maybe much later.

But make no mistake, Andrew Bynum says he is on track to return this season and play for the Cleveland Cavaliers.

He told the Plain Dealer he is on schedule (even though there is no public timeframe that would make it a schedule) and he is working out. However, he has not been cleared for full court basketball drills yet.

“I moved here a week after the press conference, I’ve been here ever since — day in and day out just working,” he said, referring to the team’s practice facility. “I’m there, focused. I’m doing everything I can do to get back. That’s what all this is all about for me right now. I just want to play.”

“We’ve been very impressed with Andrew’s work ethic and diligence in this process,” (Cavs GM Chris) Grant said. “He’s doing everything possible to get back on the court as quickly as he can.”

Bynum signed a two-year deal that has only $6 million guaranteed but with incentives that could take the deal to $24 million if they are all met. The second year of the contract is a team option.

At that price this is a good gamble by the Cavs. If healthy, Bynum is one of the best centers in the game. He was a 2012 All-Star and was a big part of a Lakers championship run before that.

However, staying healthy has been an issue. He was in and out of the Lakers lineup then, after his All-Star 2012 season when he played every game, he sat out every game last season for the Sixers (who traded Andre Iguodala for him). Bynum was recovering from knee surgery.

If he plays regularly, the Cavaliers go from a team on the cusp of the playoffs to one firmly in the playoff mix in the East. Bynum has the potential to be a game changer. And Bynum also knows that future paydays are going to depend on his effort on and off the court the next couple seasons, and money motivates him.

As of right now he is on schedule… even though he has no idea what that schedule may be.

“It’s a fluid process,” Bynum said. “I have no idea what the schedule’s going to be for me. But I’m doing everything I can to be ready. I think with the program that has been made up, we have a good chance.

“I’m optimistic I’m where I should be. Obviously, I want to be playing. But I’m taking baby steps, doing what the team and the doctors tell me. I’m doing my part. I come to work every day. I’m moving in the right direction.”

1. ambitoos - Sep 5, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Ha, ha, ha. That’s Drew.

2. captainwisdom8888 - Sep 5, 2013 at 3:16 PM

You cannot count on this man. Even if he does get healthy enough to play, he’s not going to be the player he once was, and after he struggles to return to prominence he’ll sum up his failures by not being fully healthy. Giving this guy a contract is truly a laughable mistake…

• ronp2 - Sep 5, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Based on his past, the one thing you may be right about is his health and his aloofness. With that said, I think to say he’s not going to try and can’t be counted on even if healthy is an unfounded statement. Obviously you are either a Sixer fan or a Laker fan…Im leaning more towards Philly fan. He helped LA win a title, as a vital piece to that title run, while not 100% might I add. So why can’t he do the same on a team freindly contract that’s incentive based?

• sportsfan18 - Sep 5, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I agree that you shouldn’t count on him…

But, similar to being in a contract yr ( I know his deal is for two yrs) he needs to show what he can do if he dreams of signing say a $80 million dollar contract in the future (I wouldn’t sign him to one like that myself).

If the gets a 4 or 5 yr deal and guaranteed money, then it will be over. He’ll sit back and collect the money…

At this point, he still has something left to play for, namely money…

3. abchome - Sep 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM

It sounds familiar. Heard that many times last year.

4. dysraw1 - Sep 5, 2013 at 9:53 PM

this is a america, where seldom is heard a discouraging word. so why if the man says he trying folks gotta get all negative stop Hating

• jimeejohnson - Sep 6, 2013 at 1:00 PM

And the skies are not cloudy all day.

• dysraw1 - Sep 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM

lol

5. dysraw1 - Sep 5, 2013 at 9:56 PM

forgot to wish AB. a speedy recovery

6. sauey2000 - Sep 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM

What a bum. Hopefully he is out of the league after another year of making millions to not even play

7. drgums - Sep 6, 2013 at 6:22 AM

yeah right, something About when monkeys fly out of my…..

• jimeejohnson - Sep 6, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Negativity.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches