Sep 4, 2013, 10:16 AM EDT
If you’re a big man who can knock down an outside shot you will play in Mike D’Antoni’s system. Which is good news for Lakers draft pick Ryan Kelly out of Duke.
Now all he has to do is get on the court.
Which may take longer than expected following another surgery on his right foot after the college season, something ESPNLosAngeles.com Lakers writer Dave McMenamin wrote in a longer (and in my opinion flawed, but that’s another story) post on why the Lakers should go after Michael Beasley.
The Lakers drafted Ryan Kelly in the second round primarily for his ability to stretch the floor with his long-range accuracy, but the team has been discouraged by the rookie’s progress during the summer, according to multiple league sources. The Lakers doubt that Kelly, who missed summer league while recovering from multiple foot procedures, will be ready for the start of training camp.
The Lakers aren’t used to guys who heal slowly.
Kelly may or may not be able to fill the stretch four role for the Lakers, that will have to wait. (Beasley would do it with contested jumpers and bad decisions on the court, but again that’s another story.) But they have to get him right first, and rookies who fall behind during training camp often spend a lot of the season trying to catch up. It could be that kind of season for Kelly.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 0
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under two hours, players barely notice 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 9
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31
- Suns coach Hornacek says shortening games won’t help teams rest their stars 2
- Lakers coach Byron Scott’s philosophy on three-pointers: ‘I don’t believe it wins championships’ 33
- Accounting for Klay Thompson choosing a contract extension over new-TV-deal money 2