Sep 4, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
Driving in Los Angeles today I heard the broadcasters on the Lakers flagship station talking themselves into Michael Beasley. They gave it a lot of caveats — if he would take the league minimum (he’s going to have to) and if he plays within the system (he hasn’t anywhere else, don’t think this will be different Lakers’ fans) — however they said if all that came together he could be a good pickup. Personally, I would say it wouldn’t come together and the Lakers could do better.
However, the Lakers do have reported interest in a young forward who played his college ball in the state of Kansas… just not Beasley.
From Ramona Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
Xavier Henry should be the kind of guy the Lakers (and other teams) invite to camp to compete for a roster spot. Not a guy with a guaranteed deal — he did just have another knee surgery this summer — but a guy who gets a chance.
If you’re looking for a wing with potential down the line… even then Henry is not a good bet, but he’s far more likely to fit in with the system than the guy everyone is talking about. This was a guy who in college at KU was knocking down 41.8 percent of his threes and showed the ability to create off the bounce. In the NBA none of that has happened — last season in New Orleans he took a three once every five games but he continued to show his love for the long two pointer. He’s athletic and he can rebound his position well, he just has enough issues on the offensive end the young Hornets/Pelicans did not want him back.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 36
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85