Sep 4, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
Driving in Los Angeles today I heard the broadcasters on the Lakers flagship station talking themselves into Michael Beasley. They gave it a lot of caveats — if he would take the league minimum (he’s going to have to) and if he plays within the system (he hasn’t anywhere else, don’t think this will be different Lakers’ fans) — however they said if all that came together he could be a good pickup. Personally, I would say it wouldn’t come together and the Lakers could do better.
However, the Lakers do have reported interest in a young forward who played his college ball in the state of Kansas… just not Beasley.
From Ramona Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
Xavier Henry should be the kind of guy the Lakers (and other teams) invite to camp to compete for a roster spot. Not a guy with a guaranteed deal — he did just have another knee surgery this summer — but a guy who gets a chance.
If you’re looking for a wing with potential down the line… even then Henry is not a good bet, but he’s far more likely to fit in with the system than the guy everyone is talking about. This was a guy who in college at KU was knocking down 41.8 percent of his threes and showed the ability to create off the bounce. In the NBA none of that has happened — last season in New Orleans he took a three once every five games but he continued to show his love for the long two pointer. He’s athletic and he can rebound his position well, he just has enough issues on the offensive end the young Hornets/Pelicans did not want him back.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30