Sep 4, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
Driving in Los Angeles today I heard the broadcasters on the Lakers flagship station talking themselves into Michael Beasley. They gave it a lot of caveats — if he would take the league minimum (he’s going to have to) and if he plays within the system (he hasn’t anywhere else, don’t think this will be different Lakers’ fans) — however they said if all that came together he could be a good pickup. Personally, I would say it wouldn’t come together and the Lakers could do better.
However, the Lakers do have reported interest in a young forward who played his college ball in the state of Kansas… just not Beasley.
From Ramona Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
Xavier Henry should be the kind of guy the Lakers (and other teams) invite to camp to compete for a roster spot. Not a guy with a guaranteed deal — he did just have another knee surgery this summer — but a guy who gets a chance.
If you’re looking for a wing with potential down the line… even then Henry is not a good bet, but he’s far more likely to fit in with the system than the guy everyone is talking about. This was a guy who in college at KU was knocking down 41.8 percent of his threes and showed the ability to create off the bounce. In the NBA none of that has happened — last season in New Orleans he took a three once every five games but he continued to show his love for the long two pointer. He’s athletic and he can rebound his position well, he just has enough issues on the offensive end the young Hornets/Pelicans did not want him back.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18