Sep 4, 2013, 9:42 AM EDT
He’s not just the coach, he’s the owner… of a sliver of the team.
Remember that Jay Z owned 0.1608 percent of the Brooklyn Nets — a small part of the team but it gave him room to boast on tracks and be at the heart of the redesign of the franchise’s look when it moved to Brooklyn from New Jersey.
Now Jay Z is getting into the agent business (his agency has signed Kevin Durant among others) and he has to sell his ownership share.
Jason Kidd is buying half of that stake at a cost of $500,000. No word on if that includes a share of the Barclay Center. The other half of Jay Z’s share of the team was purchased by an existing minority owner of the team. The New York Post broke the story but the New York Daily News had the updated information.
This is just everything coming full circle — Jay Z bought a part of the Nets back in 2003 at the suggestion of Kidd. Back then Kidd was the Nets All-Star point guard dropping 18.7 points a game. The conversation allegedly took place at Kidd’s 30th birthday party, which was at Jay Z’s 40/40 club in New York.
There is no conflict; coaches can own part of a team (players cannot).
What this means for the Nets ownership structure is nothing, really. Mikhail Prokhorov owns 80 percent of the Nets and is the driving force behind the changes there. It just means when the Nets massive tax bill comes due (they have about $102 million payroll which will mean about $87 million in taxes) Kidd can pay part of it.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 0
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 10
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 14
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9