Sep 4, 2013, 9:42 AM EST
He’s not just the coach, he’s the owner… of a sliver of the team.
Remember that Jay Z owned 0.1608 percent of the Brooklyn Nets — a small part of the team but it gave him room to boast on tracks and be at the heart of the redesign of the franchise’s look when it moved to Brooklyn from New Jersey.
Now Jay Z is getting into the agent business (his agency has signed Kevin Durant among others) and he has to sell his ownership share.
Jason Kidd is buying half of that stake at a cost of $500,000. No word on if that includes a share of the Barclay Center. The other half of Jay Z’s share of the team was purchased by an existing minority owner of the team. The New York Post broke the story but the New York Daily News had the updated information.
This is just everything coming full circle — Jay Z bought a part of the Nets back in 2003 at the suggestion of Kidd. Back then Kidd was the Nets All-Star point guard dropping 18.7 points a game. The conversation allegedly took place at Kidd’s 30th birthday party, which was at Jay Z’s 40/40 club in New York.
There is no conflict; coaches can own part of a team (players cannot).
What this means for the Nets ownership structure is nothing, really. Mikhail Prokhorov owns 80 percent of the Nets and is the driving force behind the changes there. It just means when the Nets massive tax bill comes due (they have about $102 million payroll which will mean about $87 million in taxes) Kidd can pay part of it.
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 4
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 14
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 13
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 28
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 8
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7