Sep 4, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT
Teams know what Louis Amundson is going to give them — real energy off the bench, rebounding, and almost no offense whatsoever. He was part of a good Suns bench back in 2010 but the past three seasons have seen him bounce around the league, struggle to get regular minutes, hand-in-hand with that his production has fallen.
Maybe a team looking for a veteran big will take a chance on him.
Maybe a team like the Lakers and Clippers, Amundson’s agent told Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News.
Free agent forward Louis Amundson has sparked interest from several teams, including the Lakers and Clippers, according to his agent, Mark Bartlestein. Bartlestein said in an interview with the Los Angeles Newspaper Group that his client plans to finalize a deal with a team within the week, though he wouldn’t go into exact specifics what role and terms would best suit Amundson.
First the word of caution: A month ago we heard how Amundson was going to make his decision in a week. So don’t bet on this timeline.
Of these teams, the Lakers make a little more roster sense. The Clippers have 14 contracts on the roster and while they might use that 15th spot for a big it seems more likely they would like a guy they can develop. Yes, the Clippers have questions about depth up front (unless you are big believer in Byron Mullens and Ryan Hollins) but the fact is Amundson isn’t the answer.
The Lakers would have 14 guys only if the keep second round pick Ryan Kelly — but he may not be healthy by training camp — and Summer League team leading scorer Marcus Landry. But they might let one of those two walk to make space for a veteran who can provide some depth up front (they project to have Kelly, Elias Harris, Jordan Hill and Robert Sacre as bigs off the bench behind Pau Gasol and Chris Kaman, with Gasol playing plenty of five).
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30