Sep 3, 2013, 9:16 AM EDT
At this point, the free agent cupboard is pretty bare, and a number of teams have filled out their rosters anyway. Let’s just be honest — if you’re still on the free agent market there is a reason.
Still, there are a few teams still looking to add player 14/15 to the roster off minimum contracts… and there are still some guys whose names you know who do not have an NBA deal yet. Which makes us all want to play matchmaker, even when we shouldn’t (we remember the version of the guy from four years ago too often, not the reality of his play now).
Here are 10 guys who you know still looking for an NBA deal:
1. Richard Hamilton. Let’s be kind here and say Rip is not exactly at the peak of his powers anymore (he shot 42.9 percent last season and is not a strong threat from three). But he still got 9.8 points a game for the Bulls when healthy. As a veteran off the bench who would play limited minutes and has championship experience you could do worse.
2. Sebastian Telfair. He’s just 28 and is still kind of the player he always was — solid defender, not a great finisher in the paint, decent shooter from the midrange, not a special playmaker — but as a third guard in the rotation he could be a solid fit somewhere (interest from the Heat and Knicks faded).
3. Stephen Jackson. At age 35 we are seeing his skills fade (he shot 37.3 percent last season and had a PER of 8) and he couldn’t get along with Gregg Popovich. He’s had a couple bad endings with teams, which hurts his stock as much if not more than his play.
4. Marquis Daniels. What he brings is solid defense on the perimeter to the table. Not much on offense, but if you could use a defender off the bench you could do worse.
5. Dahntay Jones. He was a solid “3 and D” guy a couple seasons back but last season he shot just 22.4 percent from beyond the arc. At age 33, was that a fluke or just the way things are trending with him? Still he can defend and there are teams that could use that.
6. Shavlik Randolph. Only got in 16 games for the Celtics last season, but didn’t look too bad when he did (he shot 58.3 percent). You could do worse for a reserve big off the end of bench.
7. A.J. Price. The Wizards played him a lot last season (he started 22 games) because they had to, and he showed he’s not great at running a team. But he wasn’t a disaster (PER 12.4) and could fill a role if you brought him off the bench in a limited role.
8. Josh Howard. The question here is simply one of health — he has not played in more than 43 games (during the lockout season for the Jazz) in the past four seasons. With that his efficiency has dropped as well. Do you think he’s right now?
9. Tyrus Thomas. Has the former No. 4 pick fallen this far? That nobody is willing any longer to take a chance on his potential? Looks that way.
10. Cole Aldrich. He could barely get off the bench with the Thunder, then last season bounced between the Rockets and Kings without making many waves. Still, he has legit center size and is just 25, so he could get an end of the bench deal.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Wiggins too, while guys like Alexey Shved will be sent to the Sixers.
Aug 21, 2014, 6:12 PM EDT
Gone are the days when Shaq would have used this as an opportunity to take a shot at Kobe.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:02 PM EDT
Why give up assets now, when either player could be signed outright as an unrestricted free agent next summer?
Aug 21, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
Stephen Curry: “We’re still taking applications.”
Aug 21, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
He denied this yesterday.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT
Video of Durant telling this humorous story.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Silver says it’s ultimately the individual athlete’s personal choice.
Aug 21, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Being Jeremy Lin’s parent must be an interesting experience. What do you say to him to correct him.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
It’s a great move, one Irving pulls off almost ever game.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Patience is the right play here. And patience is never popular with any fan base.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Coming back off foot surgery, this is a good thing.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Blatt can coach, but if it takes a season for the Cavaliers to find their identity (as it did with LeBron in Miami) will he get the chance to stick around for it?
Aug 21, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
If you’re now rebuilding in Minnesota, why trade Bennett?
Aug 21, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
Drummond is still a likely cut,
Aug 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
It’s all business for KD with Roc Nation getting in the act.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:33 AM EDT
He also was a scoring machine at the showcase in Las Vegas.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
16 players will practice and be available for Friday’s game against Puerto Rico, but the roster needs to be trimmed to 12 in advance of the FIBA World Cup.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Rose hasn’t practiced since playing 24 minutes in Saturday’s win over Brazil.
Aug 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Stephen Curry says yes, Kevin Durant says no.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 11
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 50
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 33
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11