Sep 3, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
The Pelicans are one of the more interesting teams in the NBA this season. New Orleans, reportedly on the orders of owner Tom Benson, jumpstarted their build through the draft plan with an aggressive offseason — they got Jrue Holiday and Tyreke Evans to pair with guys like Eric Gordon and Anthony Davis.
It’s a gamble, one that may or may not work out. If it’s going to go well and make the Pelicans a playoff contender in the West this season it’s going to take some early and fast chemistry to make it all come together.
With raised expectations because of an improved lineup, 10 of the 15 players’ on the Pelicans’ roster have been working out, doing conditioning work, lifting weights and taking part in pickup basketball games at the Alario Center. Next week, the Pelicans are expected to shift their basketball work to the Saints complex in Metairie when their new 55,000 square foot practice facility is expected to be completed….
“It’s been great that all of us have been willing to sacrifice and work together as a team,” Evans said. “Anytime guys want to come out and do that, that’s a good start. We’re looking to make a push to the playoffs and this is where it’s got to start in the offseason.”
And interesting note from a Pelicans podcast notes that it is the second year guy Davis who is helping organize the workouts.
The Pelicans are going to surprise people this year; I like the gambles they made. In a deep West they will have to fight for one of those final playoff spots with some good teams (Nuggets, Lakers, Mavericks, Trail Blazers) but they have a chance. And they have a chance to be a hot team late in the season as they all start to come together.
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 14
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 6
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 30
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17