Sep 3, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
The Pelicans are one of the more interesting teams in the NBA this season. New Orleans, reportedly on the orders of owner Tom Benson, jumpstarted their build through the draft plan with an aggressive offseason — they got Jrue Holiday and Tyreke Evans to pair with guys like Eric Gordon and Anthony Davis.
It’s a gamble, one that may or may not work out. If it’s going to go well and make the Pelicans a playoff contender in the West this season it’s going to take some early and fast chemistry to make it all come together.
With raised expectations because of an improved lineup, 10 of the 15 players’ on the Pelicans’ roster have been working out, doing conditioning work, lifting weights and taking part in pickup basketball games at the Alario Center. Next week, the Pelicans are expected to shift their basketball work to the Saints complex in Metairie when their new 55,000 square foot practice facility is expected to be completed….
“It’s been great that all of us have been willing to sacrifice and work together as a team,” Evans said. “Anytime guys want to come out and do that, that’s a good start. We’re looking to make a push to the playoffs and this is where it’s got to start in the offseason.”
And interesting note from a Pelicans podcast notes that it is the second year guy Davis who is helping organize the workouts.
The Pelicans are going to surprise people this year; I like the gambles they made. In a deep West they will have to fight for one of those final playoff spots with some good teams (Nuggets, Lakers, Mavericks, Trail Blazers) but they have a chance. And they have a chance to be a hot team late in the season as they all start to come together.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30