Sep 3, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
The Pelicans are one of the more interesting teams in the NBA this season. New Orleans, reportedly on the orders of owner Tom Benson, jumpstarted their build through the draft plan with an aggressive offseason — they got Jrue Holiday and Tyreke Evans to pair with guys like Eric Gordon and Anthony Davis.
It’s a gamble, one that may or may not work out. If it’s going to go well and make the Pelicans a playoff contender in the West this season it’s going to take some early and fast chemistry to make it all come together.
With raised expectations because of an improved lineup, 10 of the 15 players’ on the Pelicans’ roster have been working out, doing conditioning work, lifting weights and taking part in pickup basketball games at the Alario Center. Next week, the Pelicans are expected to shift their basketball work to the Saints complex in Metairie when their new 55,000 square foot practice facility is expected to be completed….
“It’s been great that all of us have been willing to sacrifice and work together as a team,” Evans said. “Anytime guys want to come out and do that, that’s a good start. We’re looking to make a push to the playoffs and this is where it’s got to start in the offseason.”
And interesting note from a Pelicans podcast notes that it is the second year guy Davis who is helping organize the workouts.
The Pelicans are going to surprise people this year; I like the gambles they made. In a deep West they will have to fight for one of those final playoff spots with some good teams (Nuggets, Lakers, Mavericks, Trail Blazers) but they have a chance. And they have a chance to be a hot team late in the season as they all start to come together.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 12
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 20
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 13
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42