Sep 3, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT
The Orlando Magic are not tanking. Don’t suggest that they are.
However, if it took a little longer than scheduled for veteran forward “Big Baby” Glen Davis to get back on the court following his second foot surgery, is that such a bad thing?
The Magic have said they plan to baby… er, be cautious with Davis on his return, reports the Orlando Sentinel.
The Magic tell me they will be “overly cautious” with Davis, which likely means he will join the season in progress. Big men with foot issues can’t be taken lightly. The Magic want to make sure Davis emerges as healthy as possible, perhaps for trade bait one day.
I think they mean one day in January or February of this season.
The Magic have Tobias Harris and he likely starts (he played fantastically after coming over from the Bucks in the J.J. Redick trade last season). In 27 games with the Magic he averaged 17.3 points and 8.5 rebounds a game, with a PER of 17. He’s going to get his chance.
My guess is Davis will play a limited role until the Magic try to showcase him in the weeks leading up to the trade deadline. By then there will be teams looking at playoff runs and in need of veteran depth up front, and Davis comes with some great experience from his Celtics years.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 7
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48